Dead-sticked F16

Wow. I sure hope he gets a nice bonus for not just punching
out of our airplane and letting it crash. Awesome flying job.

Cool video. Happened in 1996 - I wonder how his career has been since then...?

bbchien said:
Dunno about AF, but this is expected behavior from the Naval Aviator....:)

Yeah, but the Navy doesn't fly the F-16. And the F-18 has two engines. But then, you knew that.... ;)

Steve said:
Anyone remember the AF F-16 that put it down engine out at Glenview back in the 80's? I think that one descended through a cloud layer and broke out on short final. The in-cockpit video ended with a few expletives...
I remember. Everyone in the Air Force thought that pilot was a complete [deleted] moron for attempting such a landing in the middle of a huge metropolis like Chicago after losing his engine over open terrain. One mistake and hundreds die, and then (if he survives) he gets raked over the coals. Instead, by risking hundreds of lives to save a hunk of metal, he becomes a hero. Frankly, this ain't the guy I want to follow into combat -- he's the kind who earns medals by getting his troops killed unnecessarily when the same objective might be gained with less cost.

Note two things about this later one. First, through the HUD, you see nothing but open fields, so if he prangs it, he's the only person who might get hurt. Second, listen to the rate of breathing -- increasing to near doggy-panting as he gets close to the runway, and then dropping instantly to normal upon touchdown.

Back