DEA agent shoots himself in the foot, sues gov

poadeleted3

Pattern Altitude
Anyone remember the video footage of a DEA agent giving a talk to a roomful of school kids? He's waving his gun around, telling them he's the only one professional enough to carry a gun, then proceeds to accidentally shoot himself in the foot.

Well, this hero is now suing the US Government for the release of that video. He says he's been embarrassed, and humiliated. Guess what, knucklehead, if you go and shoot yourself in front of a roomful of kids, you should be embarrassed and humiliated. Thank goodness none of the kids were hurt by his stupidity. I can't believe this dude is allowed to sue because he's embarrassed about a dumbass mistake.

BTW, this article contains a variation of a phrase that irritates the snot out of me. "When the gun discharged." The gun didn't didn't discharge, the trigger was pulled and the machine functioned as designed. That phrase is designed to put blame on an inanimate object instead of the person holding it.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0411061foot1.html

Moron. He's incompetent with a firearm and should have been fired for endangering kid's lives.

Last edited:
Joe Williams said:
Anyone remember the video footage of a DEA agent giving a talk to a roomful of school kids? He's waving his gun around, telling them he's the only one professional enough to carry a gun, then proceeds to accidentally shoot himself in the foot.

Well, this hero is now suing the US Government for the release of that video. He says he's been embarrassed, and humiliated. Guess what, knucklehead, if you go and shoot yourself in front of a roomful of kids, you should be embarrassed and humiliated. Thank goodness none of the kids were hurt by his stupidity. I can't believe this dude is allowed to sue because he's embarrassed about a dumbass mistake.

BTW, this article contains a variation of a phrase that irritates the snot out of me. "When the gun discharged." The gun didn't didn't discharge, the trigger was pulled and the machine functioned as designed. That phrase is designed to put blame on an inanimate object instead of the person holding it.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0411061foot1.html

Hmmm - if his employer had a duty to protect the contents of the tape, then I guess he has a case....seems to be the angle he is pursuing.

Personally, I hope he gets nothing - what would have happened if he had accidentally shot a kid in the head, instead of his own foot ?

Time to change careers Mr. Paige.

SJP said:
Hmmm - if his employer had a duty to protect the contents of the tape, then I guess he has a case....seems to be the angle he is pursuing.

Personally, I hope he gets nothing - what would have happened if he had accidentally shot a kid in the head, instead of his own foot ?

Time to change careers Mr. Paige.

Where can I see that tape??

Joe Williams said:
If you click on the picture in the smoking gun article, it's supposed to show the video.

Thanks

Cheese and Rice!! then he pulls out an automatic weapon. I would have headed to the hills in case that "unloaded weapon" was also loaded and then he sprays to whole class. What a doofus

Loaded gun with safety off in room full of school children should equal

A room full of children's parents sueing the dude with the gun...

Lets count the list of wizard moves:
First he's yakking away like he's holding a screwdriver instead of a gun.
The slide open is good for starters but that's a major link in the chain.
Then releases the slide without even looking first.
(It almost looks like he has his finger inside the trigger guard when the slide closed)
Then doesn't safe the weapon or anything.
Then swings the business end through part of the audience. STUPID IDGET!!!
(Still yakking away like it's a screwdriver)
Then tries to put it in a holster on the inconvinent side.
(I can't see but he obviously has his finger inside the trigger guard at this point)
Then shoots his foot off.

IMHO:
Obviously he did not clear the weapon properly before class.
Obviously he did not clear the weapon properly when he pulled it out in class.
Obviously he did not clear the weapon at all before closing the slide.
Obviously he didn't even look at the butt to see if the clip was in it.
Obviously the clip was in the gun from the start. He may have pulled it out to unchamber a round earlier but he put it right back in which is the same thing for all practical purposes.
I bet he didn't even consider there might be a classroom above the one he was in or through the walls around him.

I got the above from just one viewing on a 2"x3" window.
I don't know what his gripe is. The gunshot and any fallout because of it looks pretty much self inflicted to me.

You CAN NOT violate the first rule of gun safety:
DO NOT BE STUPID EVEN FOR AN INSTANT.
Or the second:
Always keep the weapon pointed in a safe direction.
Or the third:
Verify the weapon is clear every single time, unconditionally, without fail, the instant you take possession of it.
All the rest of the rules are just nitpicking details on the first 3 rules.

One thing for certain, besides unsafe behavior on his part, this guy does not want me in the jury box while he's standing on the carpet...on one foot.

What a maroon...

Joe Williams said:
Well, this hero is now suing the US Government for the release of that video. He says he's been embarrassed, and humiliated.

Who took the video?
Did the government have any obligation to protect the video and keep it private?

Joe Williams said:
Yeah, Joe. That's up there with Philly TV news when they say "The car went out of control." instead of "He/she lost control of the car".

Amatuer video. I doubt the DEA was responsible unless it was to be used for a training video on what not to do with a gun.
Did you hear when they brought out the automatic? "Put it away." "Put it away."
I also counted 2 other obvious agents assisting and a couple of suits who looked quite anxious about the whole thing. One was on a cellphone probably trying to keep the police from showing up with SWAT!!!
Sue indeed! He should have his butt in jail for that one.

RotaryWingBob said:
Yeah, Joe. That's up there with Philly TV news when they say "The car went out of control." instead of "He/she lost control of the car".

"The car went out of control" could be the driver screwed up, it could be the tie rod broke. More information needed...

One places blame on someone before that blame is established.

Robert said:
Who took the video?
Did the government have any obligation to protect the video and keep it private?

If you read the suit it claims the video was an amateur video that was confiscated by the DEA and the part with him shooting himself was removed and then the tape was returned to the owner. Therefore someone at the DEA must have released it.

Those are their claims not my opinion or evaulation of what actually occured and frankly I cannot speculate as to who released it. All I can say is that with the knowledge that no one other than the DEA igit hurt himself that is the funiest/stupidest thing I have seen in a long time. He has some nerve trying to sue over it. Every person in that room should turn around and counter sue him. His big claim is lost income because he cannot be employed as a speaker again, GOOD!

Everyone in law enforcement should be embarrassed and humiliated that one our own could be so stupid.. maybe we should sue him for embarrassment. Sheesh! :dunno:

RotaryWingBob said:
Ya mean like when a famous rich guy flies his plane into the Atlantic and the cause is "spatial disorientaion?"

...That way the relatives can add the aircraft manufacturer to the suit for not making that "spatial" safer.

As a former DEA'er, I expect that the Office of Professional Responsibility will terminate this guy's career as an agent, as he's shown himself to be lacking in the basic judgement needed for the job.

There's no excuse for an agent handling his weapon in a school situation, let alone handling it so poorly.

I'm embarrassed and I am sure that his fellow agents are as well.

smigaldi said:
If you read the suit it claims the video was an amateur video that was confiscated by the DEA and the part with him shooting himself was removed and then the tape was returned to the owner. Therefore someone at the DEA must have released it.
What is the justification for confiscating even a portion of the tape? Okay, they can subpoena a copy of it, but doesn't the photographer/owner have the right to the full, unexpurgated version? Is there some national security interest at work here (beyond fear of further embarassment)?

gprellwitz said:
What is the justification for confiscating even a portion of the tape? Okay, they can subpoena a copy of it, but doesn't the photographer/owner have the right to the full, unexpurgated version? Is there some national security interest at work here (beyond fear of further embarassment)?
Well I suspect thats why the tape was ultimately returned.

But the DEA would want to at least get hold of it to review the incident.

gprellwitz said:

The lesson here is when you have just made a tape like this, quickly grab everything and everybody and walk briskly to your car.....

If I got any distance, they could get a subpeona and get a copy of the tape from my lawyer.

I'm just glad that guys like this are making sure that I am 'safe'.....

Greebo said:
Well I suspect thats why the tape was ultimately returned.

But the DEA would want to at least get hold of it to review the incident.

Yes, but note that the DEA had already removed "the video and audio portions of the accidental discharge" before they returned it! Sorry, but that sounds like a CYA move to me! Had they returned the entire tape to the videographer, I don't see how there could BE a suit. Of course, I freely admit I'm not a lawyer. We have enough on the board to explain to me how there can ALWAYS be a suit! :goofy:

mikea said:
Ya mean like when a famous rich guy flies his plane into the Atlantic and the cause is "spatial disorientaion?"

...That way the relatives can add the aircraft manufacturer to the suit for not making that "spatial" safer.
Asolutely! Famous rich guy was a victum. (Of his own stupidity :) )

Idiot.

I do give the guy some credit though. He didn't just fall on teh ground and start crying or run out of the room...He started the:
"This happend to me. This can happen to you." and kept giving his speech.

Back