De-icing via materials

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Wow... This would be AWESOME for airplanes:

Engineers from Harvard University have designed and demonstrated ice-free nanostructured materials that literally repel water droplets before they even have the chance to freeze.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/11/101113170001.htm

Wow - Can you imagine, instead of having boots, weeping wings, or heated wings, just making a material that repels ice on its own without requiring any power source at all? That could be huge!

Very interesting.

So does the water droplet still freeze after making contact? So would the droplets be liquid when they hit the surface, then bounce off before it has time to freeze to the surface, but still the disturbance cause the droplet to freeze. Airplanes would basically be sleet generators in icing conditions.

Very interesting.

So does the water droplet still freeze after making contact? So would the droplets be liquid when they hit the surface, then bounce off before it has time to freeze to the surface, but still the disturbance cause the droplet to freeze.

Something like that...

Airplanes would basically be sleet generators in icing conditions.

Hey... Maybe people will pay us to go up and fly around in the clouds to knock all the moisture out of the air so it'll be sunny. :D

What I can imagine is a teeny speck of a bug in the etch ruining the whole thing, the nucleus starts to propagate, and VOILA! Ice block....

What I can imagine is a teeny speck of a bug in the etch ruining the whole thing, the nucleus starts to propagate, and VOILA! Ice block....

I can see that. Too bad, though!

On another note, is it possible to buy a non-FIKI Sennie and get it certified FIKI? I'm seriously thinking about buying within a couple of years, and if I do, I don't want to play around!

I can see that. Too bad, though!

On another note, is it possible to buy a non-FIKI Sennie and get it certified FIKI? I'm seriously thinking about buying within a couple of years, and if I do, I don't want to play around!
Yes, they are certified based on equipment list, the boots, spinners, prop boots, and windshield plate. But it would be hardly worth it given the uncertainties about 100LL, ADS-B.....and the roughly $40,000 you'd have to put into it.....

Yes, they are certified based on equipment list, the boots, spinners, prop boots, and windshield plate. But it would be hardly worth it given the uncertainties about 100LL, ADS-B.....and the roughly $40,000 you'd have to put into it.....

Wow, that's not chump change!

I need to put that on my driveway and hangar apron.

Back