DCIS 0 and given 3rd Class?

U

Unregistered

I'm a new student pilot who just went for the 3rd class medical. I also recently discovered I have DCIS (Ductal Carcinoma in Situ stage 0). I'm planning to have surgery to remove it and possibly radiation to prevent recurrence.

Anyway, I just had my physical with an AME. I put all the information on the forms and told him when he asked about it that I had all the documentation and didn't mind waiting for a special issuance because I'm not flying solo yet and won't be for a while. He seemed confused and didn't seem to understand what breast cancer really was at all. He didn't seem to read the paperwork carefully either. I kept telling him I had documentation to send for special issuance and didn't mind but he wasn't sure if he needed to and ended up calling someone at the FAA. They talked and he decided to issue my medical without further documentation.

I had asked my regular doctor who said my treatment shouldn't affect my flying ability because the cancer has not spread and the only thing is I shouldn't fly until my surgical wound heals to where I feel comfortable to do strenuous activities. So, the AME freaking out and then letting it all go worried me. I did some research and it looks like the FAA looks at breast cancer as a special issuance and now I think the AME should have probably deferred and let me send my documents because a special issuance very likely not be a problem. So, now I just got a 3rd class medical but I'm worried that I may have trouble later with renewal or even revocation because this doctor didn't seem to know what he was doing.

I just realized he also forgot to take the urine sample... ugh.

My question is, is there a way to notify someone at the FAA so I can at least get them all the paperwork so at least I've done my part? Should I even bother, since I put everything on the application anyway? I don't want to cause anyone any trouble, the doctor was elderly and seemed very nice. I don't want to pay for someone else's mistake in the future , especially since I'm just starting out and am investing a lot of money in this.

Please help!

Seriously, your old AME did you no favors. The best way forward is to contact Dr. Bruce Chien, a senior AME. He is truly the Guru on difficult certifications.

Contact him through his website www.aeromedicaldoc.com or give him a call. He will also respond to emails which I assume is available on his web page.

If you are an AOPA member, he hangs out on the Medical Matters forum over there. It is worth reading the Medical Matters forum there to get a flavor of how experienced the man is - and how freely he gives advice over the internet. Not to say that all of his advice is free... but everyone says his fees, when charged, are very fair.

Important rules going forward:

1) Do not submit anything to the FAA without Dr. Bruce's guidance. Seriously.

2) Do not hold anything back from Bruce. If he suspects you are not telling the whole truth to him he'll drop you like a hot potato.

Finally, if there is a way to get your medical Dr. Bruce will chart your path. Do what he says exactly - he knows how to do it!

Last edited:
1. Dr. Chien

2. Good luck on your treatment. My wife had exactly the same thing. Treatment was lumpectomy and radiation and all went well. Practically speaking, you should be back flying as soon as you recover from the treatment.

I'd call Dr. Bruce, but do nothing more. Assuming your elderly and befuddled AME actually did talk to someone at FAA (rather than, for example, his dry cleaner) and got approval, then there's no problem. If he did talk to his dry cleaner, then there might be a problem; but don't make it a problem by creating one.

I also wouldn't worry about any enforcement actions. You were forthcoming with the information on the form. If the AME shouldn't have issued in-office, it was his mistake, not your omission.

So my advice is to give Dr. Bruce a call, but otherwise do nothing. And stop worrying. Concentrate on getting well instead. :)

Rich

I'd call Dr. Bruce, but do nothing more. Assuming your elderly and befuddled AME actually did talk to someone at FAA (rather than, for example, his dry cleaner) and got approval, then there's no problem. If he did talk to his dry cleaner, then there might be a problem; but don't make it a problem by creating one.

I also wouldn't worry about any enforcement actions. You were forthcoming with the information on the form. If the AME shouldn't have issued in-office, it was his mistake, not your omission.

So my advice is to give Dr. Bruce a call, but otherwise do nothing. And stop worrying. Concentrate on getting well instead. :)

Rich

ALL. OF. THIS.

Thanks everyone! I contacted Dr. Bruce and he gave great advice. He also responded so fast it made my head spin. What a great community!

I appreciate all the well wishes too!

I got the opportunity to talk with Bruce on a variety of Aeromedical subjects while we were at Gastons, including what he has done in the past and continue to do for us in the policy making world.

I have a much greater appreciation for his passion and efforts. That he helps answer questions like the OP's is just one small facet of all he is doing for us airmen.

Plus, he's just a cool person to share a beer with. :) :)

I got the opportunity to talk with Bruce on a variety of Aeromedical subjects while we were at Gastons, including what he has done in the past and continue to do for us in the policy making world.

I have a much greater appreciation for his passion and efforts. That he helps answer questions like the OP's is just one small facet of all he is doing for us airmen.

Plus, he's just a cool person to share a beer with. :) :)
Not to mention he's a pretty good CFI as well. :yes:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back