DC SFRA to/from KGAI

genna

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
ТУ-104
So, I'm thinking of using my newly aquired IFR powers to file to and from DC SFRA's KGAI(Gaithersburg).

It's a short 15 min flight from KDMW(Westminster). Looks like the weather should stay VMC(tomorrow)

I've never actually flown into SFRA(or KGAI) and this would be my first solo IFR. For these reasons I'm only doing it if VMC. As far as I can tell and from what I remember, if filing IFR then SFRA makes pretty much no difference. Just fly as you would any other IFR plan.

The plan would be KDMW EMI WOOLY GPS-A.

Looks like clearance delivery freq at KGAI is NOTAMed U/S. Is this the correct number: 1 866 599-3874?

Any pointers from people with experience?

Flying in is easy -- you file IFR, get your IFR clearance, and follow that clearance. You can cancel IFR with the right weather once you're inside the SFRA, but do not under any circumstances change your squawk off the assigned 4-digit code even when the controller says "Radar services are terminated" (which is followed by "...remain on your assigned squawk").

Flying out IFR is a little trickier in that you must get your clearance on the ground before takeoff -- taking off VFR and picking up your clearance isn't an option unless you also file a DC SFRA flight plan and get a VFR code from Potomac before takeoff and then get your IFR clearance after contacting Potomac after takeoff, which really isn't worth the effort. As for getting your clearance by phone if the CD freq is out (as the NOTAM says), the folks at the FBO can give you the right number to call.

As for routing, it's pretty much always in via FDK and out via EMI.

Flying in is easy -- you file IFR, get your IFR clearance, and follow that clearance. You can cancel IFR with the right weather once you're inside the SFRA, but do not under any circumstances change your squawk off the assigned 4-digit code even when the controller says "Radar services are terminated" (which is followed by "...remain on your assigned squawk").

Flying out IFR is a little trickier in that you must get your clearance on the ground before takeoff -- taking off VFR and picking up your clearance isn't an option unless you also file a DC SFRA flight plan and get a VFR code from Potomac before takeoff and then get your IFR clearance after contacting Potomac after takeoff, which really isn't worth the effort. As for getting your clearance by phone if the CD freq is out (as the NOTAM says), the folks at the FBO can give you the right number to call.

As for routing, it's pretty much always in via FDK and out via EMI.

thanks, what i figured.

Is there a reason to fly via FDK vs go GPS-A circle? EMI->WOOLY is more direct for me. Although i'd probably be landing on 14 anyway. Going to FDK is a bit out of the way.

Is there a reason to fly via FDK vs go GPS-A circle? EMI->WOOLY is more direct for me. Although i'd probably be landing on 14 anyway. Going to FDK is a bit out of the way.
It's just procedural with Potomac to separate you from IAD ops and GAI departure when issuing you the initial clearance before takeoff from outside the SFRA inbound to GAI, and you'll probably get cleared otherwise once in the air.

Back