DC area folks - Any airports within walking distance of Metro station?

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
Looking into feasibility of day trips from Norfolk into DC to visit the Mall/museums. Are any of the outlying GA airports within walking distance of a Metro station?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

College Park is an easy walk to the Metro station, but one must go through the vetting process with the FAA to be able to land there. (Information is available on their website).

Before I was vetted to go into the FRZ, I would fly to Manassas, but it is a cab ride to the Vienna train to get into the city.

Wells

KFME or KBWI are quite near commuter rail stations.

Depending on when you come I may be able to pick you up Ansley you use my car or one of the motorcycle. Keep me posted.

KFME is near a MARC station that will take you straight to Union??...less than 5 min by taxi from the airport. Check the weekend schedule though, I think it only runs on Saturday morning.

KFME is a great airport also. Go PXT to DEALE intersection and turn in. Beautiful flight.

On the weekends, driving is no problem.During the week, it is ok if you are not dependent on being somewhere at 8:30am. CGS is a bit out of the way from Norfolk, if those DC trips are a regular occurence, just go through the TSA/FAA/USSS vetting process and get your secret decoder ring. It costs $26 for the fingerprints and a 1/2 day of your time. The time and money savings from having access to the metro will make up for the hassle in a few trips.

KGAI also works. About 1/8 mile to a bus stop and a 8 minute ride to a DC metro station. KCGS would be the best option but the FRZ messes that up. W00 works as well, a short $25 cab ride will get you to the Orange Line of metro. KFME,as mentioned is near MARC.

KFME or KBWI are quite near commuter rail stations.

HEF is walking distance to a commuter rail station.

But that's a M-F proposition only. BWI also has Amtrak, more $$$. And either way, BWI is a shuttle ride from the GA FBOs to the train station.

As noted, CGS requires vetting, which has to be done in advance.

IAD has a bus to Metro - fairly long ride; BWI also has a bus from the main passenger terminals to Metro.

Unless you choose IAD, GAI, or BWI (or get vetted in advance for CGS), you'll need a car for a trip that arrives/departs on a Sat/Sun.

Don't forget that Udvar-Hazy is at IAD. It was my favorite museum anyways...

I've used KGAI to get to downtown Washington on weekends via Metro. You must take a short cab ride to the Metro station however.

This is probably not at all what you're looking for, but I figured I'd throw it out there. There's another option if you're in the mood for some sightseeing over the Chesapeake and Eastern Shore, an astoundingly beautiful place to fly (I learned to fly out of W29 on the Eastern Shore). Martin State, KMTN, is just north of Baltimore, so it's a bit of a hike, but if you want to make a day of it, MD's commuter rail (MARC) picks up right at the airport (M-F) and will take you into Union Station in DC. $16 round trip for adults, so not inexpensive either, but you get some amazing sightseeing in too. MARC schedules here: http://mta.maryland.gov/sites/default/files/penn_Jan2012.pdf

Also, if you're ever interested in looking at Baltimore, KMTN is definitely the way to go.

Back