Display name:
4CornerFlyer
I just read Phil Boyer's column in the new AOPA Pilot magazine, in which he
calls for all of us to comment on the proposal to make the DC ADIZ
permanent. One key point is that although most of us are far from DC, once
this type of airspace restriction is legitimized, it will be much easier to
impose it on other cities as well, and the potential impact would be more
severe.

If you doubt that concept, note that the New York area is subject to an ADIZ for the duration of some UN festivities--about a week long. Do you think the FAA will be flooding the NY Tracon and FSS with extra staffing and funding to accommodate the local pilots? More likely it will result in delays and hassles, while of course adding no real benefit to anyone. How long before jackasses like Chicago's Daley demand an ADIZ for whatever trivial event occurs in their cities?

Even if you agree in principle that something like the DC ADIZ is a useful
concept, Boyer gives some examples of honest pilots who were charged with FAA violations for doing what every one of us would consider the right
thing. One landed at his base airport immediately after being told his
transponder was inoperative. He was two miles away from the airport he has just departed, but they are charging him with failure to immediately
"depart" the ADIZ.

Giving the FAA idiots power to impose draconian fines and criminal penalties
to enforce a flawed concept is an idea best described as ridiculous. I have
submitted comments on this proposal in response to someone else's plea on this board. I think it bears repeating. If hundreds of thousands of negative
comments are posted with only a few positive ones, how can the FAA reconcile that with it's charter to promote aviation? Well, as you know it can find a way to do whatever it wants, but it's still worth the effort to fight it.

I'm happy to live in an area where most of the flight restrictions are due
to fires--for now. Please take a few minutes to write something on this
matter. Info on how to send in comments can be found on the AOPA web site or Avweb.

Jon

I wrote to Mr. Boyer today. I'd like to write, but I'm not all that eloquent or politically savvy. I need help with wording so I don't cause more harm than good. I'd also like to have the facts. We need to educate the non-flying public why this is bad. I cannot do that. I don't know how to make it real to my friends.

I suggest that the AOPA help us by putting together "talking points", facts and sample letters that we can use to get the attention of our elected officials.

I'd gladly write to the Gov. Easley, but I need to tell him why this is bad for NC. Insert your state for NC. Unless you're under the ADIZ, it's just a media circus.

Last edited:
Back