DC-9 & Airbus collision at KMSP (on the ground) tonight.

gismo

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iGismo
A local news channel just reported that a loaded DC-9 crashed into a loaded Airbus. They said the Airbus was parked at the gate and the DC-9 is stuck under it. Details are sketchy but injuries are expected. AFaIK there is no fire.

Joe Williams said:
How on Earth does that happen?

No details as of yet, but some mention was made of a hydraulics or control failure. Could be just the usual media misinformation though.

Joe Williams said:
How on Earth does that happen?

Well, being It was empty....

It was prolly being moved by a mech or by a tug operator.

Those guys scare the hell out of me almost every night.

Eamon said:
Well, being It was empty....

It was prolly being moved by a mech or by a tug operator.

Those guys scare the hell out of me almost every night.

It sounds like both planes were carrying pax. The DC-9 had just landed with a hydraulics problem and the A-319 was just being moved from the gate when the collision occurred.

The pix I saw showed the DC-9's cockpit imbedded in the rear of the A-319's right wing and the tail of the Airbus resting on the top of the DC-9's fuselage. According to the talking heads, no passengers were injured (even though all were evacuated via slides), but 6 crew were hurt. A bystander said the flight crew of the DC-9 walked off but they were "all bloody, and covered with broken glass". News said the 6 were taken to a local hospital for evaluation but had no life threatening injuries.

lancefisher said:
snip
A bystander said the flight crew of the DC-9 walked off but they were "all bloody, and covered with broken glass". News said the 6 were taken to a local hospital for evaluation but had no life threatening injuries.

Well, regardless of what happened, at least we can be happy for that.

Joe Williams said:
Well, regardless of what happened, at least we can be happy for that.

BTW, my next door neighbor flies the Airbus and his younger brother flies the DC-9. My neighbor was home, he wasn't sure where his brother was. Not that I'd want this to happen, but it would have been pretty weird if they both were the pilots involved.

Looks like one of those gas-pedal/brake-pedal things. :rolleyes:

But how do you confuse throttle handles with brake pedals?

MSmith said:
Looks like one of those gas-pedal/brake-pedal things. :rolleyes:

But how do you confuse throttle handles with brake pedals?

Doesn't sound likely, but I suppose a pilot could accidentally push up the throttles. Even then, with the slow response of a turbine, you'd think there would be plenty of time to rectify the mistake before something bad happened.

In any case, this seems like pretty good evidence that pax should leave the belts on until the seat belt sign gets turned off.

lancefisher said:
In any case, this seems like pretty good evidence that pax should leave the belts on until the seat belt sign gets turned off.

On sardine-can flight I was on a few years ago, we pulled up "almost" to the gate (I think most pax couldn't tell we were not all the way up yet), seat belt sign still on, and about 3/4 of the pax started getting up. Not 15 seconds later the plane surges forward just a few feet and stops. Nothing too violent, but enough to scare the crap out of those who got up. Then they shut down and turn off the seat belt sign. To this day I wonder if the pilot did it intentionally. Kind of like the "Far Side" cartoon with pilot-induced turbulence...

Jeff

Jeff Oslick said:
On sardine-can flight I was on a few years ago, we pulled up "almost" to the gate (I think most pax couldn't tell we were not all the way up yet), seat belt sign still on, and about 3/4 of the pax started getting up. Not 15 seconds later the plane surges forward just a few feet and stops. Nothing too violent, but enough to scare the crap out of those who got up. Then they shut down and turn off the seat belt sign. To this day I wonder if the pilot did it intentionally. Kind of like the "Far Side" cartoon with pilot-induced turbulence...

Jeff

That sounds like everyday on the DCA-LGA-BOS shuttles. If you're not standing in the aisle as the plane pulls up to the gate, you'll be last one off....

(only a very slight exaggeration)....

From someone I know (who shall remain nameless) that works on the tarmac at MSP:
"The DC-9 lost hydraulics as it turned off the 12/R runway and used its reverser's rite up to the impact, the A-319 fuel cell was punctured filling the cockpit and crew with fuel, 6700lbs in the outboard tanks and every drop leaked out, the flight crew was very lucky. The DC-9 as well as the brand new AIRBUS will be scraped when the FAA has completed its investigation."

sshekels said:
From someone I know (who shall remain nameless) that works on the tarmac at MSP:
"The DC-9 lost hydraulics as it turned off the 12/R runway and used its reverser's rite up to the impact, the A-319 fuel cell was punctured filling the cockpit and crew with fuel, 6700lbs in the outboard tanks and every drop leaked out, the flight crew was very lucky. The DC-9 as well as the brand new AIRBUS will be scraped when the FAA has completed its investigation."

Do you suppose that will come out of the pilot's pension?:D

Nahh, the government will pick up the tab. :)

Kind of a nice footnote on the ol' pilot resume tho... Can you imagine the cockpit conversation on that last few feet?

"Ahh, Bob, I don't think we're gonna stop..."
"Oh! **** DUCK!"

Wonder what the pax would have thought if the cockpit door would have opened and the crew ran to the back?!?!?

Gotta be a bad feeling....

Back