Daytrips from Chicago?

gkaiser

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
gkaiser
Looking for new places to explore...within an hour-1.5 hours flight from the Illinois/Wisconsin border (based at 5K6)....More then a lunch stop, some place we could spend a few hours checking out? Sort of like a Galena..(unfortunately there seems to be no easy way to get to Galena from Dubuque airport)...

Any suggestions or undiscovered places?

Check out the Amana Colonies just SW of Cedar Rapids. You could burn a few hours there pretty easily.

Oshkosh has the museum and I believe they will shuttle you to/from the airport.

I've heard about the Amana colonies..maybe I should google it and read more about it..ever been there? walking distance from the airport?

Oshkosh museum would be cool too..my son would definitely dig that...

I forgot about Rantoul..when I was a youngster I did a bunch of CAP stuff there..forgot about CJ's @ BMI..any good?

I enjoyed flying around the Door county peninsula. Check out the lighthouses and shipwrecks. There's also an airport there - 3D2 - Ephraim-Gibraltar - that had free bicycles for the fly-in crowd (call to check though, I haven't been up that way in a while)

We love Door County..it's a beautiful place..lots of fun..but so spread out..and I don't think they'd be happy with me borrowing the courtesy car for 6 hours ;) That's the problem I've been running into...need something within walking distance of the airport...Bicycles would rock if it wasn't just the kids...ugh!

I've heard about the Amana colonies..maybe I should google it and read more about it..ever been there? walking distance from the airport?

Oshkosh museum would be cool too..my son would definitely dig that...

Easy walk from the airport to town. It's a grass strip and no fuel available, so plan accordingly. Town is just as the name implies - Amana Colony. Lots of Amish-type stores and goods and some good German food at a couple of the restaurants.

http://www.funplacestofly.com/
Type in your airport...how far you're willing to go and you'll get a list of them. Not sure about walking to the attractions, it probably depends. :) I also have a book called 1000 places to see before you die and the "101 Best Aviation Attractions" which gave me a couple good ideas. 3W2 (Put in bay is nice) some kid friendly or go to Middle bass or Kelly's Island. Those are 2 hours from your place. Be careful flying into 3W2, several people have gone into the drink (lake) because they came in too low. If you're going to be around KTDZ I can take you to Tony Packos for hot dogs!

Walking distance? Imagine if you landed in the mall parking lot.

At the end of the runway you'll see the water tower and want is "downtown."

Amana itself has a short private grass strip that belong tot he crop duster company. Put the $5 fee in the honor box.

Walk a half mile to the shop and restaurant rows.

AND it gets really, really hot there in the summer. So don't do like I did on the 100 degree day and wish you had put in flaps as you see the trees coming up. :hairraise:

You could land in Cedar Rapids and rent a car if you're staying longer. It's about a 45 minute drive. No traffic.

Enjoy Annie's bed and breakfast.

Moline [MLI] - borrow the crew car from Elliot and pay for their vastly overpriced fuel for the privilege - John Deere Commons and the Deere Museum - thats about all there is in the Quad Cities - the locks and damns if that interests you.

Galesburg - RR museum and the annual RR days in June.

STL - might as well - its 2 hours or so depending on speed.

Milwaukee.

Green Bay - pretty from the air.

+5 on Dayton.

Indy - see the speedway and the museum.

Tons of places within 200nm of Chicago.

Chetek, WI. Y23. Interesting resort town with regular formation waterskiing displays. The beach and the lake is within walking distance. There are bicycles to borrow in the AD building and a courtesy minivan.

Madeline Island 4R5. No courtesy car but the town of La Pointe is only a mile or so walk away from the airport. I've walked it and hitchhiked. I usually go here on the 4th of July when there is a parade. It is a quaint little town by the lakeside and there are kayaks to rent or you can take a ferry to Bayfield, WI on the mainland. Bayfield has a similar touristy atmosphere to La Pointe but is much larger.

Well, let's not forget the Sidnaw (6Y9) flyin in two weeks in the UP! :yes:

And next month Jamie and John will co-host the annual flyin at Antigo (KAIG)!

Mackinac Island and bike ride, fudge shop, ride horses, walk, etc. (KMCD).

The Washington Island Fish Boil in July (2P2).

Go to Sheboygan (KSBM) and head into Kohler for a spa treatment (the SO will love it) and a nice dinner at the Final Approach.

Kalamazoo (KAZO) and the Air Zoo.

Indianapolis for a race. (KEYE has a good restaurant in walking distance, too.)

Three Lakes, WI (40D) has an annual flyin in June (http://threelakesshootout.com/fly-in/).

And investigate going to Big Top Chautauqua in Bayfield, WI. You'll probably want to overnight, because I think you'll need to take a ferry.

Last edited:
Back