Day Trip in Texas

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
This time I'm in Texas, I am going to be able to take some of my family on a trip, for the first time as an IR pilot. Now, we'd like to plan a medium-short X-C. My brother is thinking "hill country," probably meaning Fredricksburg. I am wondering about Austin. TKI-AUS would be about 1.5 hours in a C172, and TKI-T82 looks like about 2 hours. Worth it? Thought and ideas?

Thanks!
Ben

Oh, also--what is the weather like for that route in late November, in general?

Ben:

From Addison, one of my favorites is to Lakeway. It's right on Lake Travis just west of Austin. Once you land, the hotel will send a shuttle to pick you up if you call. You can have a sandwich and drink in the Resort overlooking the lake; wonderful views. Check out the resort; could make a good overnighter.

Fredricksburg is great also, but for completely different reasons. Don't know 'bout transportation from the airport to any of the off airport attractions.

Dave

Ben:

Austin's a great city, but I cannot imagine a reason under the sun or in the clouds why you would make AUS your day-trip destination, unless you just want to show off that you can make a turn-off from 17L-35R to one of the two, next-to-each-other-we-cater-to-jets-mostly FBOs, and enjoy buying avgas for $5.25. If you have a specific eason for going to Austin (like I do for every Univ of Texas home football game), that's different, but for the city of Austin, AUS is the only game in town.

Now.

Great day-trips from TKI?

Shorter than you referenced, but Granbury (GDJ) is about an hour or less southwest; arrive during business hours, and they will loan you one of their fleet of retired police cars gratis or, if you are going to arrive outside FBO hours, call ahead and they'll leave the keys in one for you. Old Granbury is a very attractive town, with a lively local theatre and the sometimes-famed Nutt House restaurant has, blessedly, reopened.

You mentioned Fredericksburg, and that's a fine trip, though it'll take you more than an hour by 172. Arrive lunch time, and eat at the very nice Airport Diner associated with the also-famous hangar Hotel - call first to check hours. Some nice historical stuff there, too, including the Chester Nimitz museum (F'burg is his home town). Lts of shopping (sort of touristy, but still nice) in town. Great airport.

Stop at Lampasas (LZZ), and gaze in awe at the self-serve pump with the $2.78 100LL.

Do a TGL at Greenville Majors (GVT) and se what sort of high-end military hardware L3 is working on that week. Then, go south to Caddo Mills and watch the glider boys play.

Land at Aero Country, and find the yellow, white and blue Mouse, tell Bo, "Howdy." Of course, every time I land there I expect to see him, and have not yet. Might help if I called first...

So much more to do, but I am too tired to thnk of it all, so I pass the baton.

As for the WX, in late November, you can pretty much count on temperature between 15f and 85f, freezing level somewhere below 12,000' and above 10', and all couds will definitely be above ground level. Which is all to say: you just can't say. We are able to fly more than not, that is good, and while autumn / winter may have more no-fly days, the air is much smoother on the yes-fly days, so it works out.

Give a hint when you gonna show up...

Spike gave you the rundown.

If you're going to Fredericksburg, spend the night at the Hangar Hotel and visit the town. Nice town.

Or come on down to San Antonio, it's only a little further than Austin or Fredericskburg.

Lockhart has good barbeque.

Mustang Beach/Port A is a bit far, but there is a shuttle around the beach town. Good seafood.

I am aus bound myself this week and just read all the flaming of Signature on airnav. Sounds like Trajen is on the way up in $ too.

Aus is a neat city if you have a day or so. T82 is so darned kitch-ey now I never go downtown when visiting the inlaws. I heard they are going to extend the runway to accomodate jets for a new billion dollar development for the very well-off just N of town. They are planning on putting the highway Under the runway. Well you can go to Enchanted Rock, Wildflower place S of town (in Oct?) and eat German while there.

PS for my trip to Aus... Ive decided to land at...... Taylor Tx of all places! Cheap fuel, 600'np approach, have cars apparently.

These are great ideas! Is there any way to get to hill country faster than two hours? Where does it really start?

wangmyers said:
These are great ideas! Is there any way to get to hill country faster than two hours? Where does it really start?

Yes. Rent a Lear.

On the subject of BBQ, a friend of mine just flew his 172 down to Stephenville, and said that the Hard Eight BBQ he and his wife had there was the best they've ever tasted (and they're both native Texans).

Ben;

I Hope you get to AUS.. My Bride ( wife ) is there now visiting her mom and I always enjoy going to AUS to hear the music. The weather now is great and not too hot. As Dave and Spike wrote there are some great places there. My bride and I go to a real nice resturant not far from Lake Travis to see the sunsets. Can't remember the name; Dave and Spike do you guys know the place?

Ben I hope you get to check out the hill country.

John

John J said:
Ben;

I Hope you get to AUS.. My Bride ( wife ) is there now visiting her mom and I always enjoy going to AUS to hear the music. The weather now is great and not too hot. As Dave and Spike wrote there are some great places there. My bride and I go to a real nice resturant not far from Lake Travis to see the sunsets. Can't remember the name; Dave and Spike do you guys know the place?

Ben I hope you get to check out the hill country.

John

Ben,

Knowing your interest in music, you might like Austin, as long as you have interests outside of classical music. It's known for it's music scene; live bands EVERYWHERE in the evenings.

John J said:
My bride and I go to a real nice resturant not far from Lake Travis to see the sunsets. Can't remember the name; Dave and Spike do you guys know the place?

John

That'd be the Oasis, on the side of the bluffs overlooking Lake Travis, near the intersection of RM 2222 and RM 620, but I think it burned down. I did hear that it was to be rebuilt, but know not whether that has happened or not yet.

I'll cast a hearty "yeah!" for the Hard 8; right across the highway from the Stephenville airport (KSEP), golf cart at the hangar is there for use by pilots (Owner of the restaurant is a Bonanza-driver, had a pilot lounge upstairs at the restaurant).

Another idea, different direction: Lake Muray State Park in Oklahoma, very short flight from TKI (1F1, 2500' paved and the nicest little 2500' runwaythat you ever did see);eat at Fireside Dining (that's what it's called), call and the owner will pick you up for the short ride to the place. Great food. Caution: runway lights OTS UFN.

Or, try McGehee's Catfish Restaurant (T40); great catfish, marginal strip with a reputation.

Or, fly to Cox Field (KPRX), then you can tell all your friends that, just like Spike, you flew to Paris. You need not tell them it was Paris, Texas.

Ben, in my plane, it's 1-1/2 - 2 hours to San Antonio from Dallas. In a 172, it'll be 2+. We are at the south end of the Hill Country.

If you can swing a night in Fredericksburg, the trip's worth it.

Maybe you should head down that way, go to Kerrville, and see the Mooney factory. You'll drool for one.

Austin is a great town. I do hope you can make it down that way.

bill

Spike;

Thanks for the update on the Oasis; I was there last in 2003. The view was so great as one sat and leisurely ate dinner with the sunset.

Troy and Ben; Yes Austin has some great music. Stevie Ray V. who gave us that great sound came out out of there. Ben there are some nice music places on 6th street. I know it is not classical but the beat and sounds are great.

I hope you can get a chance to enjoy Austin. Oh yes stop in at the Hotel Driscoll. Lots of history there and it has been restored so well.

Have fun
John

just came back from Amy's ice creamery after beer and dinner at Threadgills on Lamar (aus)
Saw Enchanted Rock on way over at 11K, clear and a million today, Taylor field kT74 worked out OK, there was a Fouga on the ramp when we landed. Kinda far from town but we didn't mind.

Looks like my passengers are fighting it out between Granbury and Jefferson (Marshal). My brother's in-laws have an inn in Jefferson.

Worlds apart, those two, but you can't lose either way.

OK, that's great. Of course, for me the flight's the thing.

I got here late, so cannot add much to the suggestions already made. For a meal only, Sanderson's in Graham is great.

SCCutler said:
Ben:
Land at Aero Country, and find the yellow, white and blue Mouse, tell Bo, "Howdy." Of course, every time I land there I expect to see him, and have not yet. Might help if I called first...

Spike, if you went through Aero Country during the past 2 weeks, the Mouse was sitting out on Kramer's ramp. Had it out there while they re-paved the taxiway to our hangar in case we wanted to go somewhere. Unfortunately, weather and severe colds kept us from flying.

When are you gonna give me a call?

The Old Man said:

When are you gonna give me a call?

When I pull my head outta my...?

I will, really!

Back