Davis Monthan?

Skip Miller

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Skip Miller
I found these photos on the internet somewhere.

Man, that's a lot of hardware down there.....

-Skip

Attachments

• one.jpg
    one.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 33
  • two.jpg
    two.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 32
  • three.jpg
    three.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 29
  • four.jpg
    four.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 26
  • five.jpg
    five.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 41
You could build yourself a nice little airforce with all those planes down there.

In your best "dark alley salesman" voice:

"Hey kid......wanna buy a b-52.........real cheap!"

--Matt

How old are those pictures I wonder. :dunno:

Skip Miller said:
I found these photos on the internet somewhere.

Man, that's a lot of hardware down there.....

-Skip

I wondered that too, with regard to the -52s. I know they chopped up fields full of them a few years back to comply with the arms reduction treaty. Guillotined the wings and fuselages - hack, hack, hack.

And I thought seeing the tall grass grow up around a couple of planes at the local turf strip made me sad.......

Ya know, since the popular perception is that the "small planes" are unsafe, and there are so many taxpayer funded "big planes" just sitting there...

I think the nation would be best served by giving each and every PoA pilot an unarmed military jet aircraft, along with training, maintenance and fuel. The planes could be recalled to active duty if need be, and we'd finally eliminate the threat of all these Cessnas, Pipers, Mooneys, Beechcraft and so on. We'd eliminate the need for Lead in fuel too since we'll all be burning Jet-A - a win for the environment, no doubt.

I saw some pics or vids of the BUFFS under the guillotine - very very sad...

I think those are old. I just looked at it on Google maps sat view and there are not that many there.

jkaduk said:
I think those are old. I just looked at it on Google maps sat view and there are not that many there.

Maybe a few years. Lot's of F-15 Eagles and F-14 Tomcats in one of those photos.

jkaduk said:

And the Google maps are also a couple of years old, so that tells you something!

Think of all the museums that would love to have some of these in their collections. Also, note a couple of missing planes. Two in picture 2, another in 3. Did they go to musuems, or someone took them!:hairraise:

gprellwitz said:
Think of all the museums that would love to have some of these in their collections. Also, note a couple of missing planes. Two in picture 2, another in 3. Did they go to musuems, or someone took them!:hairraise:

Many of the planes at DM are mothballed to be put back into service at a later date. It's not just a junk yard. The missing planes might have been put back into service. Picture 2 looks like F-4's. IIRC those are being reused as target drones. The missing B-52 in picture 3 might have been sent to the area where they cut them apart and leave them lying there for a period of time so Russian satellites can see them (per the SALT treatys).

I took the tour a couple years ago and they cut them apart like so...

Attachments

• AMARC 8 (Medium).jpg
    AMARC 8 (Medium).jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 13
My parents live in Tucson, AZ. Christmas 2005 I went sight seeing with a friend of theirs in a PA32-260 and took these pics when we flew over DM.

Attachments

• Davis Monthan AFB 1 Dec 2005.JPG
    Davis Monthan AFB 1 Dec 2005.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Davis Monthan AFB 2 Dec 2005.JPG
    Davis Monthan AFB 2 Dec 2005.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Davis Monthan AFB 3 Dec 2005.JPG
    Davis Monthan AFB 3 Dec 2005.JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 7
Back