David Poque on ADS-B on CBS Sunday Morning. OMG! Get's it right.

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
David Poque (New York Times tech columnist) did the cover story on CBS News Sunday Morning on ADS-B, and.....OMG! He didn't say anything for us to get mad about, except the usual FAA/airline bogus claim that passengers are delayed and lines are long because the airspace is currently so full.

He talked to the (female) Captain and operation director of UPS who explained that ADS-B may keep them from long diversions for traffic if the rules are changed to allow planes to be closer if they can follow traffic ahead etc. We'll see how THAT plays out in practice. I'd bet $100 when the lawyers step in ala Sport Pilot medical the rules don't get changed.

He had on Andy Cebula of AOPA to say a few words about how we have concerns about having to spend a minimum of $6000 to upgrade every GA plane.

There was no bashing or blaming of GA. Good job, David!

Last edited:
He talked to the (female) Captain and operation director of UPS who explained that ADS-B may keep them from long diversions for traffic if the rules are changed to allow planes to be closer if they can follow traffic ahead etc. We'll see how THAT plays out in practice. I'd bet $100 when the lawyers step in ala Sport Pilot medical the rules don't get changed.

I bet they do - The current separation standards (3 miles in terminal areas, 5 miles in ARTCC areas) are based on the rotation speed of the radar stations. (The longer-range ARTCC radars have to spin slower to get that longer range, thus are less accurate and require more separation.)

So, with ADS-B it'll actually be plenty safe to move things closer together.

Good job, David!

Pogue is a guy I really respect - He almost always gets it right. :yes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Haha... Actually, I had no idea that book even existed until just now! :)

EDIT: Pogue actually uses PC's as his main machines due to severe RSI. He writes with voice recognition. Can be done on a Mac, but the kind of VR you can "type" with was on the PC first even though VR itself was Mac first. IIRC before the RSI problems he was a Mac user, I think he even worked for Macworld back in the day...

Last edited:
Back