David Clark H10-76 Conversion

asechrest

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
asechrest
I have a David Clark H10-76 headset which was gifted to me by a USAF buddy. This is the military, non-ANR headset with the single plug. I'd like to have these as a passenger headset since I have the QT Halos for my own use. I know that it needs a conversion for use to GA, both the plug and I think the microphone.

There appear to be two conversion kits available.

Just the plug and microphone: http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/5286

Or the plug, microphone, and the earphones: http://store.acousticom.com/david-clark-h10-76-conversion-kit-plus

Has anyone here successfully converted these for GA use? Any recommendations on first vs. second option? I read the reviews on the first conversion kit and some report very low volume. I'm wondering if this is why the second kit also includes earphone replacements?

Thanks.

There is an impedance difference in the earphones between the mil and civilian versions. This causes the low volume reports after the first kit.

Forget those.

Get the ANR conversion kit at Headsetsinc.com, including the replacement cord and a new mic.

It'll be ANR and you'll love it.

Or, buy a new headset?

The cheapest fix is a conversion cable that converts the impedance.
Here: http://www.thesquawkshoppe.com/prod...d-converter-cable-hi-standard-to-low-military

Put in PILOTSOFAMERICAMEMBERS in the discount code an it'll ship for free.

Thanks. Would love to support a POA member. Can you help me understand whether this is a complete solution for the conversion? I'm concerned because other solutions include at least a microphone conversion (dynamic to electret) and some also convert the earphones.

MyPilotStore says this about the single piece conversion:

If you are planning on using this to convert the DC H10-76 for use exclusively in civilian fixed wing aircraft, we recommend using the David Clark H10-76 conversion kit instead. The conversion kit will swap out low impedance mic with a high impedance mic. However, if you will be switching back and forth between military and civilian, we recommend using this impedance adapter instead.

As Shane quoted, the cheapest option is the Conversion Cable that converts the David Clark's Military Headset from a Low ohm speaker/mic setup to a High ohm for General Aviation.

This Inverter Cable is the complete solution. You do not need any mic upgrades.

Thats ALL!

Last edited:
I've been trying to research what's needed myself. I was given the same headset that I need to convert. I have a bunch of old DC headsets and took one of the mikes off and tested it. Simply replacing the mike made the thing work in an R44. The mike being the low impedance wouldn't transmit on a High Impedance system. That's why the mike needs to be changed. I think the $80 cords that do the impedance switching would help with the ears though. The volume was maybe a little low in the ears without any changes. That's why they made volume control knobs.

As to replacing everything in it, at least in my case, I have an excellent head set. Why would I want to spend $150 or more on an ANR kit when I could maybe even make this work for nothing or $30?

Thanks. Would love to support a POA member. Can you help me understand whether this is a complete solution for the conversion? I'm concerned because other solutions include at least a microphone conversion (dynamic to electret) and some also convert the earphones.
FWIW, I have the H10-66XL, which is a military set with a built in high-low impedance switch. It works fine in the planes I fly and no one's ever complained about how I sound. Assuming the conversion cable works the same way as the switch built in to my headset, I wouldn't think the microphone would be a problem. YMMV.

Back