Dauphin Island (4R9) Back Open

rangerz

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
rangerz
Made a quick stop at 4R9 enroute to a $150 breakfast at Sky Cafe (KPQL). Fun, unattended strip with plenty of tie-downs and walkable to the restaurants and historic sights on the island. It had been NOTAMed closed most of November and early December. It does give off a bit of the 'carrier landing' vibe approaching overwater for runway 12.

vlcsnap-2023-12-23-08h47m14s196.png

Awesome. I’ve overflown 4R9 enroute to points east. How far of a walk is the cafe? I’m asking with the thought of flying an 86yo with bad knees to Dauphin for a meal.

edit- never mind….I see the cafe you refer to is at Trent Lott. Even better idea for a meal with elderly passengers with a landing at Dauphin for fun.

Last edited:
Awesome. I’ve overflown 4R9 enroute to points east. How far of a walk is the cafe? I’m asking with the thought of flying an 86yo with bad knees to Dauphin for a meal.

edit- never mind….I see the cafe you refer to is at Trent Lott. Even better idea for a meal with elderly passengers with a landing at Dauphin for fun.
The closest restaurants to 4R9 are around a 1/2 mile, the furthest (near the fort) are about 2 miles. There are banners on the airport fence advertising taxi services so I think you could get a ride pretty easily.

Yes, Sky Cafe is super easy - just taxi to the ramp and walk through the FBO.

Back