Display Name

Display name:
Jeff Wright
today she:
  • took the controls after takeoff with the plane stabilized in the climb
  • turned on course
  • adjusted mixtures during the climb
  • levelled off at the desired altitude
  • set cruise rpm, map, and mixtures (dad helped synch the props)
  • took a center handoff and checked on next frequency
  • acknowledged a center traffic call, spotted traffic, and verbalized a possible action to increase separation
  • checked chart and tuned destination asos
  • selected appropriate runway based on current winds
  • reduced power and descended to traffic pattern altitude. Made course correction to approach airport from left traffic side.
Age 9

Soon she'll reach that flying milestone that never seems to come soon enough: growing tall enough to reach the rudder pedals.

Attachments

• student pilot.jpg
    student pilot.jpg
    925.4 KB · Views: 139
That's one lucky girl.

And one very lucky Dad.

She'll be a great pilot.

She obviously has a very smart mom. But we already knew that, she's the one with the hot-rod boat.:D

My son is 7 and is very, very interested in flying simulators, even of the same aircraft I fly with him. But he doesn't want to take the controls for more than a short time. With a booster, he can see over the instrument panel on a 172 just fine. I recently pointed out the Golden Gate Bridge to him on the way back from the North Bay, and asked him to fly toward it (it's a wonderful VFR navigation point on a CAVU day). He did so, and held it in a straight line for 30 seconds or so, and then said he was done.

Any ideas what I can do to make him more comfy?

They Grow Up So Fast

Age 9

Soon she'll reach that flying milestone that never seems to come soon enough: growing tall enough to reach the rudder pedals.
My daughter loved flying at that age but by the time she was old enough to reach the rudder pedals she had developed a greater interest in boys.
Those damn stupid boys have taken away my favorite copilot.

8330719360_5d03408b73_n_d.jpg
8329662825_54a4a34de9_n_d.jpg
8330624908_b94255eb0f_n_d.jpg
8329583069_64386f6dc2_n_d.jpg

Last edited:
Enjoy that time together very cool of you. She'll really have it as second nature when she's older. Stupid question but I never see women airline pilots pretty much ever do they exist?

Enjoy that time together very cool of you. She'll really have it as second nature when she's older. Stupid question but I never see women airline pilots pretty much ever do they exist?

Oh yes. At UAL, I think we have maybe 5% of our pilot group that are women.

Wow I wish I got started that young! Very cool to see the joys of flying passed on to others

Re: They Grow Up So Fast

My daughter loved flying at that age but by the time she was old enough to reach the rudder pedals she had developed a greater interest in boys.

That's until she finds out that most young boys will do ANYTHING for an airplane ride !!!!! :yes:

Jim

One of the reasons, GA did so badly during 2002-2010 was that the Condi Rice's of the world generally do not fly..... :(

Very cool, Jeff. I know that was rewarding to you.

Very cool. I am very impressed!

You tell that young gal that she is an amazing kid.

Fantastic!!! You are a lucky Dad. Tell the young lady if she wants to fly and be of service to her country to study hard and take the USCGA entrance exam. The Coast Guard has the highest percentage of female pilots of all the services and I was lucky enough to fly with some of them in both rotors and fixed wing. In fact the check pilot for my transition to the HU-25 was an absolutely brilliant pilot who happen to be female. She has a bright future.

How cool is that?! Congrats to the young pilot and mom and dad.

My 8 year old duaghter's first aviation practice was demonstrating good ADM:
  • she chooses not to fly with me :redface:

Well shucks. I wish college-age girls were like that.
Wait, I learned to fly as a college-age girl, but then I was more into airplanes than boys. Lots of guys stuck in the "friend zone". :D

Given enough time that may come full circle for you. None of my daughters caught the bug, but my son-in-law who lives nearby out of the blue bought himself a decathlon and started taking lessons. It's been a nice change, I was always ambivalent toward the boy not because of anything wrong with him, just that we lacked any common ground. Now we spend a fair amount of time together.

Wait, I learned to fly as a college-age girl, but then I was more into airplanes than boys. Lots of guys stuck in the "friend zone". :D
But what if one of them had an airplane you could fly?:D:D:D

Jeff, how cool! When I was young, flying was my favorite father-daughter activity...good times and special memories. :)

Is this the same young lady in that picture of sleeping on the hangar floor on a blanket? I just love that picture. :)

I loved seeing your post of your daughter flying. My daughter just turned 11 and is in love with flying. She goes to the flight club every weekend and begs to start lessons. She has the same issue of not being able to reach the rudder pedals. She has won over all the pilots sympathy and goes up in many types of power planes and gliders. She spends hours tying to figure out how she can reach the pedals, from new shoes to more pillows behind her. I'm glad other girls have this drive as well. And the funny thing is we live in the same town. Would she like a pilot buddy?

Jeff, how cool! When I was young, flying was my favorite father-daughter activity...good times and special memories. :)

Is this the same young lady in that picture of sleeping on the hangar floor on a blanket? I just love that picture. :)
Hi Diana, yes the same one, I think this is the photo you remember? This is her at age 2 or 3 honing her A&P skills. Even then she was spoiled rotten, how many kids get both a blanket and a rolled-up sweatshirt to sleep on?

Attachments

• help at the hangar.jpeg
    help at the hangar.jpeg
    164.9 KB · Views: 34
Hi Diana, yes the same one, I think this is the photo you remember? This is her at age 2 or 3 honing her A&P skills. Even then she was spoiled rotten, how many kids get both a blanket and a rolled-up sweatshirt to sleep on?
That's the one! :yes: How adorable! :yes:

. She spends hours tying to figure out how she can reach the pedals, from new shoes to more pillows behind her.

I used Campbell's soup can tied to my shoes, pretty effective and light weight!

-VanDy

Very cool. We're looking forward to doing that with our son, assuming he's interested.

I used Campbell's soup can tied to my shoes, pretty effective and light weight!

-VanDy

She hasn't thought of tying something on her feet...YET!! She has 3 months left until glider season opens though. It makes me wonder if they would allow her to do that.?? HMMM

I have a pair of platform sneakers from the company "Volatile" that I got online to be able to reach Rosy's rudders. Might. Or be tall enough for her yet but they are good for future reference.

Back