Daughters First Flight!! My New Co-Pilots

Rob Schaffer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CLR2TKF
So this weekend was a back and forth with regards to weather. Seemed the meteorologists just couldn't get it right. Woke up this morning to really low clouds and some light fog, with a hint of blue skies peaking through every once in a while. About 11 am, sun was out, big puffy clouds floated around the sky, and the lawn mowing marathon was going on up and down the street. I mowed the lawn and took care of some weeding, and we packed it inside for lunch. An after lunch run to Lowes culminated back at home, with Becky heading upstairs to take a nap and hopefully shake the nausea she was feeling today.
By the time 3:30 rolled around, I couldn't take hearing the planes outside and seeing the big clouds calling out to me,.. so I called up Montgomery County Avaiation at Wings and asked if they could schedule me for tonight. N136MA would be our ride for the night, from 6-8pm. Off the phone, I told the girls to clean up, cause we are going flyin!! We snacked lightly, packed up the handheld radio and headsets, kneeboard and sunglasses, and then let the girls take one of their stuffed animal friends for the ride.

I figured it would be best to take Allison first, as she wouldn't be scared of the engine noise, and that way Bella could hear that the airplane will make some noise when we run it. Till now, they've only sat in the planes, as we were getting them used to the environment first and taking slow steps. I preflighted and then loaded Ally into the passenger seat. After everything was checked inside, I pulled down and latched the canopy. 6MA came to life, and I powered up the avionics, at which time Ally thought it was neat to say "Ready for Takeoff, Lets' go Daddy". We taxied away, heading for Runway 6. AWOS stated winds were 050 at 3 knots, pressure was 29.93,... such a great night to fly. As we were in the runup area, a Yellow Champ pulled up beside us and signaled to us that they didn't have headsets,.. NORDO, and we used hand signals to understand that we were both planning to be in the pattern. Ally and I took the Runway, and departed briskly into the air. "Wow,.. we are really high" she said as we
crossed only about 200 feet up.
Climbed out, and turned crosswind, deciding to depart to the north a little and let the Champ flow in ahead of me so I could watch his position. The air was smooth, clouds were 7000 or so, and we leveled off at 2000, before turning back towards the airport to re-enter the pattern. First approach down to RY 6, and I was high on the VASI. Crossed over the Turnpike upon turning final, and knew I would have to slip a little to bring her down and get on glideslope. Airspeed was fine, but a 3 or 4 second slip put me right where I needed to be and I was still on centerline. Made a nice, but slightly long landing, rolling out to Charlie taxiway. Ally had a great time, now to head up to the ramp and exchange spots with Bella. Jim had me park right infront of the terminal and chocked the left side wheel.

Once Bella and Ally changed spots, I double checked I had the parking brake on and stood on the brakes, while Becky took away the wheel chock. Ally and Mom safely in the Terminal, and I had Bella all seatbelted in, we closed the canopy and started 6MA back up. Bella was completely fine with the quick shutter as the engine came to life, and I smoothed out the throttle at 1000 rpm and brought up the avionics. Bella thought it was neat that she could hear herself in the headset and was making all types of noises and saying her name. I spoke with her about listening to me, and asked if she was ready, removed the parking brake and coasted down the ramp back towards the runway. We made a nice and smooth takeoff from RY 6 again and stayed in the pattern. The Champ was no where to be seen at this point, so I guess was out flying low and slow someplace. Turned Final for RY 6, and everything was nice and solid. 60 Knots, full flaps, on glideslope, and landed about 300 feet past the numbers. Wind was so calm, and no one in the pattern or making calls, so I called Jim up on UNICOM and asked if we should switch back to RY 24, our preferred pattern direction typically. He said it was fine, and I rolled the rest of the way out to the end of 24. A MediVac called and overflew the field, and a Piper Archer taxied into position behind us, as he was going to do some pattern work as well. Bella and I departed RY 24 and then turned to the North so she could get a chance to see a little bit besides just the pattern. I banked the plane a little while she saw the cars on the Turnpike and looked down at some houses. A nice shallow 180* turn, and we were about 2 miles north, to enter the crosswind for 24. The Piper was Downwind, a Cessna joined off the quarry for No. 2, and I ended up following him to be No.3 to land. I pulled back power early and flew the full downwind with 10* flaps, to space out behind the Cessna. Bella was having a great time, and she was looking out the window and signing to herself. We turned in on final, and she was singing "The B-I-B-L-E, that's the book for me..." , and I made a final full stall landing on RY 24, to end the night. Back to the parking area, and full of smiles! Tonight was a great night!! Come to think of it now, I wonder if that was her way of Praying on final,... Ha Ha!

I'm glad the kids did so well. They had a lot of fun, even if it was for a short trip around the pattern. Next time will be in the 172-H, where they will be able to see more I think, and they will be able to talk to one another too. Should be fun!

Allison - With Little Stuffed Dog "Lucky" -- 4 1/2 yrs old
Isabella - with Stuffed Bunny "Fluffy" -- 4 1/2 yrs old​

Bigger Photos Attached....

Attachments

• CIMG3820.JPG
    CIMG3820.JPG
    233.6 KB · Views: 14
  • CIMG3825.JPG
    CIMG3825.JPG
    280.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0542.JPG
    IMG_0542.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 25
That's GREAT!!!!

Reminds me of when I took my nephews for their first flight. It puts a grin on my face just seeing the grin on their faces!

You have a lovely family! Congrats!

Excellent!! Could not have had a better evening to fly, calm, smooth and cool. Must have been a father/daughter type of weekend, Nicole and I ended up cruising to Lancaster for dinner while you were sightseeing with Becky and Ally.

Gary

Great pics and sounds like a great day, Rob! Your girls are adorable. :)

WOO HOO, Add two more for the future 99's

Really glad to hear they loved it, but with all the talk about flying I'm sure you do they were excited to try it with you.

Awesome Rob!
Looks like everyone had a fun first flight.

Fantastic! Early Fathers Day gift.:thumbsup: I can't wait to take mine up for the first time.

Great post, loved it!

You've got some great little co-pilots there! Good for you!!! :smilewinkgrin:

There's no way you can't call that, "precious"!

Thanks for sharing- my first big smile for the day.

That's fantastic Rob, congrats! I don't think their smiles (or yours) could be much bigger!

Back