Database subscriptions, etc. when changing planes?

gbanker

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
gbanker
Does Garmin, Jeppesen or Sirius XM weather allow you to transfer your subscription with you when you sell your old plane and buy new?

Thanks

Jeppesen has always transferred my subscriptions for free and given credit if the old database is more expensive than the new one. I went from a 430W to a GTN650 in the new plane and got a small credit back.

Sirius XM was just a matter of transferring to the new device/antenna. I think it's a $15 fee to process...

Not sure on Garmin, no experience doing a transfer with them.

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited:
With the Garmin interface I think you can de-register your old GPS unit and register your new one, and change your plane identity too if you want. Ultimately, it does not matter to do this if you are programming the same type of unit because all the app knows is that you are programming a data card for a particular type of device, and you can only do that once. As long as you have the correct device defined for the download and card to be programmed, it will work. If you are changing units (say a GTN 650 for a GNS 430 then you will have to make the changes to your profile to ensure you get the correct files for the device.

Back