Data in Mexico, Guatemala & Caribbean

Painter1

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Mike K
using Foreflight, I see the Low IFR charts but, as this is our first trip out of US with this program am not sure if we will be able to see accurate GPS position on IPad or how much data to expect the program to use per hour. Need to purchase a data plan.

I am also studying how the Garmin 530 will behave.

Any help in those regards is welcome. Thanks.

I have flown the Caribbean and Latin America for many years. I buy a Jepp trip kit for the areas I am operating in. I was using a KLN 94 and had no data except for US possessions. I just put a 750 and declined the Jepp data due to unlock costs. Jepp has the data in paper which is kind of a pain but complete info. I have found you need the SIDs and STARS because of language problems and weak radio signals. I am assuming you will be flying instruments. You also need the Jepps to learn about entry requirements. Most places in Latin require prior approval (Guatemala in particular). Mexico has become a real paperwork nightmare. you can get some additional information by joining the Baja Pilots. If you do not speak or understand Spanish it is best to have all your ducks lined up in advance. You can check fuel prices on Foreflight and AirNav for some locations and sometimes they have additional information. Get the Jepp trip kit in your hands at least two weeks before takeoff as you need lead time for prior approvals. Good Luck!

Mexico has become a real paperwork nightmare. you can get some additional information by joining the Baja Pilots.

I am based in Mexico and totally disagree that it's become a paperwork nightmare. Yes, you have to file a flight plan for every flight. Yes, you have to get it stamped by 2-3 people. Yes, that's more than you have to do in the US.

Totally disagree that those facts rise to the level of "nightmare".

Baja is good. So is http://www.caribbeanskytours.com/ which, despite the name, is based in Mexico City and also has a great checklist for flying here.

I am based in Mexico and totally disagree that it's become a paperwork nightmare. Yes, you have to file a flight plan for every flight. Yes, you have to get it stamped by 2-3 people. Yes, that's more than you have to do in the US.

Totally disagree that those facts rise to the level of "nightmare".

Baja is good. So is http://www.caribbeanskytours.com/ which, despite the name, is based in Mexico City and also has a great checklist for flying here.
Nightmare depends on how you look at it. I have noticed an increasing number of people engaging the services of a 'handler' on the ground to insure a smooth entry/exit.

It's certainly not a nightmare for them, but it does come at a cost obviously.

Here are a few of the problems your will encounter while operating in Mexico and further south.
File eapis with Mexico at least one hour before entering Mexico. (You can file through Baja Pilots if you are a member.)
Must have Mexican Liability Insurance.
Must purchase single/multi authorization when you land in Mexico. About 1400 pesos and usually requires a credit card. If coming from the US you get one. When returning from the south you buy another.
Gas is usually purchased in cash (best to have pesos). Some places will take a credit card for a 5% surcharge.
If visibility is questionable the airport commandante will decide if you can depart VFR. Mexico VFR is 5 NM or better.
All IFR is conducted on airways. Not a problem but often not very direct.
Mexico has a long list of items that if found in your airplane are not illegal but they will charge you tax. See Baja Pilots web page.
Entry to Mexico from the south must be through either Tapachula or Cozumel.
Single/multi authorizations can be purchased only during business hours. Best to travel on week days.
That is all I can think of right now. Other Latin Countries have their own way of doing things that is why the Jepp trip kit is worth the cost.
A lot of the hassle has been generated by the US Homeland security and DEA. Each of the Latin Countries gets money from the US and they risk losing if they do not enforce the regulations the US wants enforced.
Do not forget to file your US eapis. Need to follow all the US rules. You also need a US customs sticker.

Nightmare depends on how you look at it. I have noticed an increasing number of people engaging the services of a 'handler' on the ground to insure a smooth entry/exit.

It's certainly not a nightmare for them, but it does come at a cost obviously.

Interesting. I've not seen that trend. I do, however, think that $50/USD (the fee at one of my nearby airports) for a handler is worth it for many people if they are passing through customs. Particularly if they do this kind of thing infrequently. As Walt points out, there is some additional paperwork required (both ways) when crossing the border and unless you're doing it regularly paying a convenience fee might be worth it for some people. You will do nearly the same amount of work. But you'll be providing the information to a person who speaks your language, is acting as your advocate and knows how to get things done most efficiently at that particular airport.

A lot of the hassle has been generated by the US Homeland security and DEA.

True story. For example, it's a real shame how many strips in Mexico have been bulldozed because of the war on drugs nonsense.

Further, while I've only gone through CBP in four countries, I will say that the US is the only one that qualifies as nightmare for me. Walt was talking about paperwork, my experience is with attitude. The US is unique in their CBP people having a chip on their shoulder and acting like asses. As I have written about before, I have been threatened with $5,000 fines three times entering the US. In all three cases the mistake was on the part of the CBP. In all three cases their treatment of me and my pax was a nightmare. In none of them did they apologize. They actually seemed even more ****y once it became evident that they were the ones in error.

Any good checklist for entering the US will suggest you write down the name of the officer you speak with when you call to confirm your arrival. I can't emphasize this strongly enough.

Anyone who does this regularly will be have "shopped" the various AOEs and can tell you which ones they prefer. I lately use McAllen, TX almost exclusively because I have never had a single problem there and, beyond that, the staff is almost uniformly friendly and pleasant to talk to while they (efficiently) do their jobs.

Thanks for the information & tips.
Since I asked the questions and they have been addressed; Foreflight uses Zero data from your cell phone/ ISP provider, except when on the ground and not connected to wifi. It is not streaming data while you fly.

Position will display just like in the USA with "Cellular Data" turned off on IPad. GNS530 can be updated with Latin America data.

Further, while I've only gone through CBP in four countries, I will say that the US is the only one that qualifies as nightmare for me. Walt was talking about paperwork, my experience is with attitude. The US is unique in their CBP people having a chip on their shoulder and acting like asses. As I have written about before, I have been threatened with $5,000 fines three times entering the US. In all three cases the mistake was on the part of the CBP. In all three cases their treatment of me and my pax was a nightmare. In none of them did they apologize. They actually seemed even more ****y once it became evident that they were the ones in error.

Any good checklist for entering the US will suggest you write down the name of the officer you speak with when you call to confirm your arrival. I can't emphasize this strongly enough.

Anyone who does this regularly will be have "shopped" the various AOEs and can tell you which ones they prefer. I lately use McAllen, TX almost exclusively because I have never had a single problem there and, beyond that, the staff is almost uniformly friendly and pleasant to talk to while they (efficiently) do their jobs.
All true enough in my experience.

Given the way it is, It also helps to check one's own attitude before interacting with CBP. I long ago learned the importance of humility and deference when dealing with entitled authority but recently I took a trip with my joke cracking fishing buddy where the lesson was re-learned.

It was a holiday weekend and we were CBP's last job before closing. When asked a question my buddy answered with a joke. Asked another, he answered with another. He was having some good 'ol boy fun but I could see the lack of humor on CBP's faces. It quickly went from being waved through to having increasingly obscure parts of our stuff opened for inspection. It was now 'crack a joke, open another'.

I took my buddy aside and told him in no uncertain terms to shut the f-ck up. Once I shooed him away and put on my humble suit we were quickly waved through.

At best they are just weary workers trying to get home.

Back