Darwin Award Apprentice - Landing on Residential Street

I was baffled until I read 23 yr old student pilot.
I'm not gonna lie. I am still a little baffled just a little less so.

What does being 23 have to do with the situation? I was working as a flight instructor at the age of 20. I don't remember passing through a phase at 23 that caused me to mistake subdivisions for airports.

I personally don't see this as more aggregious than the SW airlines plane that landed at Point Lookout instead of Branson.

At least this street was in the same area code!

Looking for things in common...close to same headings and a pond on the NW corner.

Another reason I look at the aerial/satellite view before going to a new airport. Problem is, he went there all the time.:rolleyes:

Another reason I look at the aerial/satellite view before going to a new airport.

Absolutely! I just flew to a new-to-me airport yesterday. It helped a lot that I memrized the airprt layout and knew to look for red hangar rooftops. Especially since there were a couple more airports in the vicinity.
I verified rwy orientations and was happy to get it right.

To quote Col. Hannibal: "I love it when a plan comes together". :yes:

This is the best picture:

planecrash5.jpg

Just curious how many people commenting have ever used a n avadyne or g1000 system.

Unless you are flying an instrument approach, the GPS doesn't line you up with the runway unless it just so happens your course line is that way. If he was following the magenta line he would have flown right over mid field. I'm willing to bet he was following the GPS to a point then went by visual reference and ignore that he was deviating from the end mark of the GPS. I'm willing to bet it was a pilot error not a GPS error.

Also, why all the hate people express for GPS. Why not hate on following a cdi too. Same principle.

This was in 2011. He's now a captain for Asiana airlines.
Was he one of the three pilots who crashed the 777 into the ground in SFO?

Which one? We Tu Lo or Sum Ting Wong? Sorry, I don't remember the 3rd pilot's name.

Which one? We Tu Lo or Sum Ting Wong? Sorry, I don't remember the 3rd pilot's name.

Ho Lee Fuk

Try this.

Yeah well, uber senior pilots have landed big fn jets at the wrong runway, so.....

And the 4th pilots name was Bing Dang Ow..

Then this must be Captain Bang Ding Ow's wife.

Sorry.

Back