Darn it, more 'soft' breakers.

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
I just finished my annual a week ago and have flown 4 hours since then.

The annual went really well with only one unexpected squawk, that was for a bushing in my trim tab. A couple of hundred bucks for what was pitched to me as something that "probably was ok for another year' item. I'd rather they just fixed it now.

It was also time for a new ELT battery, I am still waiting for the 406MHJz ones to come down in price. It was also pitot/static/transponder check time too.

I had two circuit breakers that had been giving me some problems. The symptom was that the items on those circuits would not work. Tap the breakers with your fingers and everything would be fine. So I had the breakers replaced. Wouldn't you know but on Monday when Al and I went up flying two new breakers started the same problem. On those I can wait until the next oil change and have them done then. But it is frustrating. It is like they got jealous of the other newer breakers.

You must be doing something wrong! Don't hit them so hard. I really don't know what's wrong.

CB failures are not all that common. Do you know what manufacturer they are. The only breaker from that time frame that gave me many problems were the Mechanical Products units.

The winner on the best value 406MHz ELT unit for me is the ACK unit. They claim their GPS info unit should be ready by the end of March. I would like to install that unit in my 172 when I have spare time. I really like the Artex ME406 unit that we normally install, but I just don't think I want to sink that much in the 172.

Regards Kevin

\
I had two circuit breakers that had been giving me some problems. The symptom was that the items on those circuits would not work. Tap the breakers with your fingers and everything would be fine. So I had the breakers replaced. Wouldn't you know but on Monday when Al and I went up flying two new breakers started the same problem. On those I can wait until the next oil change and have them done then. But it is frustrating. It is like they got jealous of the other newer breakers.

What circuits are those breakers on? Sounds to me that there is a bigger problem lurking about there.

You must be doing something wrong! Don't hit them so hard. I really don't know what's wrong.

CB failures are not all that common. Do you know what manufacturer they are. The only breaker from that time frame that gave me many problems were the Mechanical Products units.

Regards Kevin

Might be corrosion on the bus bar, loose terminal screws at the bar/breaker connection, or maybe just old breakers. Loose screws aren't uncommon. The contacts inside the breakers also get a film of corrosion on them and can stop conducting, or if the resistance is about right they'll get hot and pop off when they shouldn't. Landing light breakers are famous for that.

Dan

Might be corrosion on the bus bar, loose terminal screws at the bar/breaker connection, or maybe just old breakers. Loose screws aren't uncommon. The contacts inside the breakers also get a film of corrosion on them and can stop conducting, or if the resistance is about right they'll get hot and pop off when they shouldn't. Landing light breakers are famous for that.

Dan
They are 30 year old breakers with some corrosion on the contacts and that is why when you tap them they work again. But let them sit a few weeks and corrosion gets on them again. They never pop off.

Buy a quart of Marvel Oil. Immerse the breaker in the oil. Put a 12 volt supply (battery??) directly across the breaker. It will pop. Let it sit for five minutes. Reset and pop it again. Do this for about an hour. Ten or twelve pops or so.

Remove the breaker and immerse it in some light solvent. I prefer WD-40 (it comes in pint cans for those of you only familiar with the spray cans) but nearly any mild solvent that washes the MMO out of the breaker will do. Shake and dry thoroughly.

Put it back in the airplane. Repeat every ten or fifteen years.

Jim

Back