Dangerous Visual Illusion

Wow. Very powerful demonstration. Thanks for the link.

AdamZ said:
Col. John Lowrey sent me this link. It demonstrates a dangerous visual illusion that can take place at night when a pilot is flying to an airport beacon. The effect can make you loose sight of the nave lights of other aircraft. Yikes. check it out.

http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/mot_mib/index.html

Given that I don't generally stare at the beacon, I doubt this would have much impact on my ability to notice other airplanes, but it is none the less an interesting illusion. There's actually another illusion present in the same display. If you use the speed buttons to increase the rate of rotation a bit and then stop it while you stare at the image, you will swear that the grid begins to rotate in the opposite direction.

Jeez. Add in a little lower altitude at night hypoxia and you could have some real fun. Those yellow dots really DO disappear. Amazing.

Jim G

Try this--stare at the display for a good 30 seconds and then immediately look at the palm of your hand.

Wow--groovy! You hippies might remember that from the 60's : )

sere said:
That is an interesting site. Fun to play with.
It works becuase we really to have a blind spot, it's just medial to where you see the sharpest.

Isn't it a form of "tunnel vision" ?

Look at ANY of the dots and the other dots can disappear.

AdamZ said:
Col. John Lowrey sent me this link. It demonstrates a dangerous visual illusion that can take place at night when a pilot is flying to an airport beacon. The effect can make you loose sight of the nave lights of other aircraft. Yikes. check it out.

http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/mot_mib/index.html

Adam. I just keep looking at the GPS. When the little plane gets close to the little airport marking, I know I'm there. Why look outside? You might see something scary! :)

(yes I'm kidding)

I dunno tho....

The yellow lights are not flashing like nav lights and beacons do. I'd like to see the same test with flashing strobes to be sure.

NickDBrennan said:
I dunno tho....

The yellow lights are not flashing like nav lights and beacons do. I'd like to see the same test with flashing strobes to be sure.

If your nav lights are blinking, you've got some electrical work to do.:rolleyes:

Back