Dances with clouds

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
"Hi folks, Bill Jennings here, you may remember me for such classics as 'Dumb Student Pilot', and 'Aerobatics for Idiots'. I hope you'll join me on my latest adventure, 'Dances with Clouds'"

Kidding aside, tonight is my first instrument lesson. It's time to make my head hurt! Already 4 CD's into the King course, preparing for the written. Ho boy!

Enjoy! It will be the most useful ticket you earn.

Greg
182RG

Bill, be sure to tell us all about your first lesson!

Bill Jennings said:
Kidding aside, tonight is my first instrument lesson. It's time to make my head hurt! Already 4 CD's into the King course, preparing for the written. Ho boy!
You lucky guy! About all I can do is watch the Kings (dull as dishwater, aren't they?) and study for the written. In Michigan, I think the wx is going to keep most of us pretty well grounded for the rest of the month and beyond. I love the irony: too much IFR weather for instrument training!

Liz

azure said:
You lucky guy! About all I can do is watch the Kings (dull as dishwater, aren't they?) and study for the written. In Michigan, I think the wx is going to keep most of us pretty well grounded for the rest of the month and beyond. I love the irony: too much IFR weather for instrument training!

Liz
Go get that ticket, Liz! :)

azure said:

Liz

Too icy for SEL approaches ?

I insisted on flying at least one actual approach/lesson from day one, just to keep the practical product within sight...

Dave Krall CFII said:
Too icy for SEL approaches ?

I insisted on flying at least one actual approach/lesson from day one, just to keep the practical product within sight...
No Dave, the freezing level around here hasn't been below 8,000 for a couple of weeks so I don't think icing will be a problem. And yes I'm definitely keen on getting as much actual as possible during my IR training - don't think my CFII would start a student off in actual though.

Anyway it looks like the persistent IFR stuff is on the way out for now... hopefully we can schedule something soon. Meanwhile John and Martha are keeping me busy - I've watched the full video set, now I'm going back and reviewing, working the test questions.

Liz

I don't necessarily think one has to get some 'actual' while in lesson mode as long as you have a plan to ease into 'actual' conditions. Plan on some dual and have a serious discussion about personal limits.

I got lucky with some "easy" IFR clouds were 1500' AGL and the tops were about 4500' MSL for my first try solo. My personal limits change with the exposure to wx. I fly in the system 99.9% of the time. I love to fly IFR. :)

azure said:
No Dave, the freezing level around here hasn't been below 8,000 for a couple of weeks so I don't think icing will be a problem. And yes I'm definitely keen on getting as much actual as possible during my IR training - don't think my CFII would start a student off in actual though.

Anyway it looks like the persistent IFR stuff is on the way out for now... hopefully we can schedule something soon. Meanwhile John and Martha are keeping me busy - I've watched the full video set, now I'm going back and reviewing, working the test questions.

Liz

John & Martha are sure great educators and have done tons for GA as well. I can't say enough about their courses, unless maybe they would include a more comfortable couch for viewing !

Dave Krall CFII said:
John & Martha are sure great educators and have done tons for GA as well. I can't say enough about their courses, unless maybe they would include a more comfortable couch for viewing !

It gets a little dry sometimes, but I can't argue with the results.

Bill Jennings said:
It gets a little dry sometimes, but I can't argue with the results.

I never figured I was payin'em for a song & dance... and if they put me to sleep, I'm already on the couch !

Back