Dallas pilots: breakfast tomorrow at KSLR?

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
I know Mr. Spike headed to Marfa, but the bride and I are doing a sunrise flight to Sulphur Springs tomorrow AM for breakfast at 8am (opening) at the Redbarn Cafe across the highway from the airport. Another pilot and his wife are also flying in, so I figured I'd extend the invite--the more the merrier.

If you can make it, we'll see you at KSLR at 7:45 or so for 8AM breakfast!

just fyi... the runway is closed... you can land and t/o on the taxiway.

Thanks for that heads up! Was just about to go view NOTAMs.

Just called the airport; it's the southern 3000' that's available for use, per the airport, not the 2500' described in the NOTAM. AF/D diagram shows powerlines paralleling the northern portion of the taxiway, so I'm sure that's why that portion is not available.

He said GA traffic other than big aircraft are still using the field regularly without issue, that the runway construction hasn't slowed down the use. Just have to keep an eye out for aircraft back taxiing for departure...

So, breakfast is still on, for us.

Last edited:
Yeah, that 2500-3000' x 35' taxiway might be a little tight in the Baron, too. We'll catch you another time, Dave!

i landed there the other day... there's plenty more than 2500 feet available... its more like 3500... a baron should have no problem. i was there the other day in a bonanza... which isnt a baron of course, but it's only notamed that way for legal reasons....

Thanks for the PIREP! We're looking forward to the trip. Have to remember to bring CASH--the Redbarn doesn't take cards.

you'll see the white lines on the side of the taxiway indicating the 'beginning' and end of the 'runway'... go ahead and use them as the runway for landing, b/c u might not see the barricades from the air. however when u taxi out for takeoff, you can taxi all the way to the barricades and you'll see you have plenty of runway.

Ah, I thought the white lines were 500' markers. ;-)

We had a great flight, met with our friends Kim and Terry, who flew in from 2TS6. Pictures here, video uploading now of the 'taxiway' landing at KSLR. First time I've ever landed on a taxiway, on purpose or otherwise!

Are they putting in a new runway already?
I put the very first tire marks on the one that was finished in the late 80's or early 90's...a couple days before it was officially open. We used the taxiway as a runway for a long time while they had the bulldozers out there.

BTW: When a bulldozer gets stuck in the mud, it takes two bulldozers to pull it out. :idea:

Back