Dallas Area Flight School

AerialGhost

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
AerialGhost
Hey Guys. I was wondering if anyone has heard of or has experience with RFC Flying Club in Addison. I'm an training out of Dallas Airpark right now, but noticed I could get better rates with the club, and there were more options to grow into in terms of airplanes. Anything in regards to how the club is run, or anything about the CFI's would be great.

Last edited:
I flew with RFC for years, and consider it one of the best deals in aviation. They maintain high standards for instructors and have monthly meetings with safety topics.

I assume you would start out in the Cherokee 180, 4746L, and it is a gem; I know the owner personally, good guy.

The other benefit is, you can move up to higher performance aircraft as you become more capable.

Had I not bought my own plane, I'd still be flying RFC, and be glad to do it.

I'm a member and fly their Arrow a ton. It's generally as advertised. Good rates on the planes and good general availability. I learned in their Cherokee 180 and didn't have a problem working around plane availability.

Good folks and a nice deal on the planes. Plus, with the Cherokee, Arrow and the 3 Bonanzas, you'll have plenty to of planes to grow with you.

Howdy from one of your neighbors north of the MetroMess.

I have heard of RFC but don't have any experience. I did all of my training out of McKinney with the Texins Flying Club. They bill everything on tach time which saves quite a bit of money. I would often see days during training where we would log 1.1 hobbs and I would pay 0.7.

The instructor I used is in his 60s, 8000+ hours, ATP rated and very knowledgeable. He had lots of experience to share.

Thanks for everything y'all are sharing. I'll probably stick where I am and then transfer over to RFC in the summer. I've been around aviation a long time, I'm just trying to see what all is out there, and find the best cost/experience ratio.

Thanks for the welcome Mike! My dad was in the Corps the same time you were. He was P-2 Class of '89.

Thanks again

Howdy, Mike! I was in E-1' Class of '95. We need to meet up some time.

Hey Guys. I was wondering if anyone has heard of or has experience with RFC Flying Club in Addison. I'm an training out of Dallas Airpark right now, but noticed I could get better rates with the club, and there were more options to grow into in terms of airplanes. Anything in regards to how the club is run, or anything about the CFI's would be great.

Jesus. If you can land at Dallas Airpark you should look like an old veteran at KADS. There are moon craters smoother than airpark!

I landed there once. Once. Stay the foxtrot east of the KADS centerline! Watch out for the QT sign on approach! Crosswinds were super squirrelly that day and landing on that skinny-ass runway was... interesting.

And just when I thought the scary chit was over... I turned onto the taxiway. I mean really one would be better off on the grass.

I will say that the guy who teaches out of there (in the blue 172 - I forget his name... Dick?) was super nice and helpful. I parked my plane in front of his hangar at his house for a week during Christmas '12.

Anyway I have no advice on a flight school I just wanted to share my airpark experience. :lol:

Hahahaha you pretty much nailed it! It is definitely a small field but the runway is actually not bad. The taxiway on the other hand... craters everywhere. I like the challenge though. Not the shortest I have landed on either. My grandpa had a hangar at Clark Airfield in Justin, talk about short and narrow! I like short runways though, it makes me feel like a real pilot. Just have to be wary to go around if the approach is bad, forcing it down is a no go.

Yep it is Dick who rents out his blue 172, really nice guy who has a ton of experience. I've had a great time with him.

Communicating with Addison is not bad, you just have to make sure to stay east of the center-line like you said. It's barely in Addison airspace so you just have to contact them over 121 and then they will hand you off pretty quickly.

I landed there twice.

I was talking to ADS and they were telling me it s 4 miles out, 3 miles, 2 miles
"You have passed it"

I was using GPS too.

I felt dumb telling ADS tower: "I will do a left 360 until I see it"
I finally found it and right away thought it wouldn't take much of a crosswind for me to scrub that landing.

Love flying in over those buildings though!

Hahaha I feel ya. I just aim for the small bit open space in the middle the concrete jungle. Flying over the buildings is definitely an experience, and I am amazed at how close to them you can actually get on short final.

I'm even surprised how nice the controllers are even in a busy part of the day. They've always been accommodating to me which is helpful.

Howdy, Mike! I was in E-1' Class of '95. We need to meet up some time.

Come on up sometime and we'll grab a burger and brew somewhere good.

Squadron 13, Parsons Mounted Cavalry
Class of '88

Last edited:
Wow, Mike! A Cav Jock pilot!? Do you use the axe handle for a tow bar?

I'll shoot you message some time soon. I'm always up for an excuse to fly. Just promise that you won't bring up the Alabama game!

Gawd no... coach needs to restart thinking as a College Ball coach, not the NFL stand in the pocket team. Hurry up offense works... Keeps the other team on their back foot versus time to interpret the formation and make a mess of your intended play.

I went to the RFC meeting tonight- the speaker was Phil Condit, retired Boeing CEO. WHAT A BLAST!

I landed at Airpark once, on my checkride. The one I passed. That tiny little sidewalk they call a runway cured my centerline problem. :D

I would think that even if the hourly rates are cheaper at ADS, the time spent waiting in line would eat up the savings.

Reasonably scheduled training times mean waits are rare (and, certainly, they are rarer now than they were ten years ago).

Reasonably scheduled training times...

That's also one of the top tips here at DTO.

If you try departing at the top of the hour, you're gonna get stuck in the conga line circus of students from US Aviation.

"Denton Tahwah, dees ees Cessnah Novembah wan-two-dree bwavah-alpha. Holding short, rhunway (click)" quick conference with instructor "dree-seex. Request deepahsure cweerwance."

And they take "taxi at a speed equivalent to a fast walk" to heart. More than once I had to ride the brakes on the Skylane as I followed one them out to the run up area. I was at idle power, but the slight downhill gradient had me getting close to chewing on their tail feathers.

Thank goodness for intersection departures and a top tower crew that knows our club members, aircraft, and capabilities.

That's also one of the top tips here at DTO.

If you try departing at the top of the hour, you're gonna get stuck in the conga line circus of students from US Aviation.

"Denton Tahwah, dees ees Cessnah Novembah wan-two-dree bwavah-alpha. Holding short, rhunway (click)" quick conference with instructor "dree-seex. Request deepahsure cweerwance."

And they take "taxi at a speed equivalent to a fast walk" to heart. More than once I had to ride the brakes on the Skylane as I followed one them out to the run up area. I was at idle power, but the slight downhill gradient had me getting close to chewing on their tail feathers.

Thank goodness for intersection departures and a top tower crew that knows our club members, aircraft, and capabilities.

I encountered that the last time I was at Denton. I had heard that there was a large population of students similar to that, but I couldn't believe it when I actually saw it. I was even more surprised to learn that they sometimes fly cross countries together, the solo guy following the guy whose getting his dual xc in. You are right about the top tower crew though.

Mike, even though it's been three years or so, and I still haven't visited you at DTO, I think you just added to that delay.:)

Mike, even though it's been three years or so, and I still haven't visited you at DTO, I think you just added to that delay.:)

As the day wears on, the student jam decreases. Usually by lunch time during the week it's not noticeable.

So come visit for lunch!

Just ask to use the old run up area at A2, then A2 entry onto 18. I do not think our Chinese friends are allowed to use it.

It jumps past the jet traffic too.

DTO is not that bad.... that being said, I have been holding short for 5 to 10 minutes watching several 172s ballooning down the runway. I do not judge, just stating facts.

Back