Dakota questions - Shimmy damper seals? Cowl weights?

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
Looking for the seal to rebuild a Gar-Kenyon shimmy damper on our Dakota PA28-236 Dakota. We have the correct replacement o-ring, just are unable to locate a replacement seal that goes in the groove of the shaft under the o-ring.

Any thoughts? Called Gar-Kenyon and haven't received a call-back yet.

Does anyone know of an IPB or other diagram with parts identification of this damper? Part number 95260-1... (edit - fixed my dislexic part number)

Thanks!

Last edited:
and here we are, over 4 years later, and once again on the search for rebuild parts for our shimmy dampener; Gar-Kenyon part # 95260-1, Piper part # PS50152-4.

edit - Glyd Ring part # S12546-012 is/are the elusive part(s) we're after.

summary of where we're at right now (email update from our club A&P)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I’ve mentioned our looming Dakota shimmy damper problem. (On-field A&P) has not had time to search for the seals (very rare). I spent an hour or so yesterday retracing a previous path, and ended up talking to the same guy at Gar Kenyon that helped us last time. They are now in Meriden, CT. He remembered the event - now more than 4 years ago. He repeated info about a company in Ft Wayne that is listed as a source for the ‘glyd rings’ we need. (Shamban & Co.) I followed the same track 4 years ago.
I called them. I’m pretty sure their previous answer was a minimum order of thousands because they aren’t made anymore. But there was a twist: The lady wanted to know if we needed an OEM part. We don’t. Perhaps this search will end differently. Gar Kenyon guy actually promised help from their supply room if we hit another dead end.
WE NEED a shimmy damper. The safest alternative is to fly without the nose wheel fairing. These dampers were used on the Dakota line, and perhaps no other Pipers. (not sure of that)
BTW - converting our plane to another shimmy damper style (STC available) will cost thousands, and require an engine R and R.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Oh - and since there are a couple of Dakota owners here now - any chance of current or upcoming maintenance that would end up with you having cowl halves removed from your aircraft? We would really like to find out what each cowl half weighs. As part of the repaint, there was significant repair work done on our cowls and they are now "heavier than they were". Would be nice to know what they weighed before the repair.

Thanks!

Last edited:
50 years ago these Glyd Rings were all over the hydraulics industry (from which I retired 16 years ago).

Time for an owner produced part. You want glass reinforced teflon material that should be available industrially. You can re-machine Turcon in a lathe by placing it on a mandrel and if necessary chill the part with LN2 to improve finish. What are the groove and shaft dimensions?

This is ridiculous.

and here we are, over 4 years later, and once again on the search for rebuild parts for our shimmy dampener; Gar-Kenyon part # 95260-1, Piper part # PS50152-4.

edit - Glyd Ring part # S12546-012 is/are the elusive part(s) we're after.

summary of where we're at right now (email update from our club A&P)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I’ve mentioned our looming Dakota shimmy damper problem. (On-field A&P) has not had time to search for the seals (very rare). I spent an hour or so yesterday retracing a previous path, and ended up talking to the same guy at Gar Kenyon that helped us last time. They are now in Meriden, CT. He remembered the event - now more than 4 years ago. He repeated info about a company in Ft Wayne that is listed as a source for the ‘glyd rings’ we need. (Shamban & Co.) I followed the same track 4 years ago.
I called them. I’m pretty sure their previous answer was a minimum order of thousands because they aren’t made anymore. But there was a twist: The lady wanted to know if we needed an OEM part. We don’t. Perhaps this search will end differently. Gar Kenyon guy actually promised help from their supply room if we hit another dead end.
WE NEED a shimmy damper. The safest alternative is to fly without the nose wheel fairing. These dampers were used on the Dakota line, and perhaps no other Pipers. (not sure of that)
BTW - converting our plane to another shimmy damper style (STC available) will cost thousands, and require an engine R and R.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Oh - and since there are a couple of Dakota owners here now - any chance of current or upcoming maintenance that would end up with you having cowl halves removed from your aircraft? We would really like to find out what each cowl half weighs. As part of the repaint, there was significant repair work done on our cowls and they are now "heavier than they were". Would be nice to know what they weighed before the repair.

Thanks!
HI
have you been able to find these glyd rings? i`m on the hunt for these parts as well for my arrow.
thx
Vito

I traded this info a while back in private message with another member here, but thought it was in the thread - my mistake.
We ordered GLYD rings and rebuilt ourselves on last annual, I believe. I wasn't involved in that annual, so hopefully I'm not mis-remembering.
---------
Here's what I found searching for my old info
my post on PiperFlyer.org

https://www.piperflyer.org/forum/maintenance/429-dakota-shimmy-dampener-rebuild-info.html#1498

excerpt - catalog for GLYD rings
https://tss-static.com/remotemedia/...yscript/catalogs/zurcon_glyd_ring_p_gb_en.pdf

Once you have your GLYD seal measured, you may be able to cross reference it to a number in this catalog and then order the seal by the part number in the catalog.
I called Gar Kenyon for cost of a rebuild at their facility and was told that they hadn't done one for quite a while and that the estimate was $250-350.
-----

and I also found this digging around this morning:

https://www.piperflyer.org/forum/for-sale-wanted/643-looking-for-a-shimmy-dampener.html#2276
references this:
https://www.knots2u.net/piper-shimmy-dampener-repair-kit/

Off topic:

Greg, Is that the Steve Ells, A&P-IA who was a technical advisor for AOPA and a DC-3/4 mechanic? If so, I rented a house from him back in the dark ages.

Off topic:

Greg, Is that the Steve Ells, A&P-IA who was a technical advisor for AOPA and a DC-3/4 mechanic? If so, I rented a house from him back in the dark ages.
I have no idea - he's the lead guy on piperflyer.org forum and magazine ...

I’m a little surprised that these parts are not the same as for other later model Pa28 series, like my Archer2. I realize that the engine in the Dakota is larger and heavier, and that probably accounts for the different engineering requirements, but much of the other Airframe hardware pieces must be the same. The Dakota, while not as ubiquitous as my Archer2, looks almost identical except for the cowl.

Hi Guys
I finally found these Glyd ring seals here in europe. But now.... how the heck do you install these without deforming them so much? is there a trick to get them in there? i looks like there is a part pressed into the outside part to hold everything together? Anybody knows how to do it?
thx

Hi Guys
I finally found these Glyd ring seals here in europe. But now.... how the heck do you install these without deforming them so much? is there a trick to get them in there? i looks like there is a part pressed into the outside part to hold everything together? Anybody knows how to do it?
thx
hi, could you share the source and part number of the glyd ring to help us out. I could order a few extra and five insight on how to get it installed.

Back