Dakota nose strut issues

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
Our Dakota nose strut came to us with a leak. We rebuilt the top end (twice) - (I wasn't involved in this, so not sure what that entailed). Last weekend we pulled the bottom end out and replaced the o-ring in the bottom plug, which stopped the fluid leak. However, the strut still leaks (this time with no fluid evident, just the nitrogen leaking) which points me to the top end - again. Pulled the plug off the top end and the aluminum washer is marred. Replaced that this morning, replaced the fluid and added nitrogen. Now the strut holds pressure, but is very sticky - hard to pull down, and once down, sticky and jerky to extend again.

Ideas?

Only expensive ideas here: have the strut blueprinted, e.g. measure all dimensions and "adjust" as necessary such that all dimensions are within factory new specs.

After looking at the assembly drawing I'd guess the bearings are worn and allow the strut to bind slightly. If they are worn then I suspect the new o-ring will start leaking again in the near future.

In the mean time, just load it tail heavy so's you can keep the nosewheel off the ground easily - it'll save time and money!:eek::eek::eek:

Its been a long time since I had a leakage problem with the front strut on my Cherokee. It is probably the same design as the Dakota. I replaced the lower O'Ring a couple of times. If I remember right, I ended up rotating some part 180 degrees and have had no further leakage problems. It has been so long that I'm not sure I remember it correctly except for the no further problems part. I am sure that nothing was replaced except the O-Ring.

Only expensive ideas here: have the strut blueprinted, e.g. measure all dimensions and "adjust" as necessary such that all dimensions are within factory new specs.

After looking at the assembly drawing I'd guess the bearings are worn and allow the strut to bind slightly. If they are worn then I suspect the new o-ring will start leaking again in the near future.

In the mean time, just load it tail heavy so's you can keep the nosewheel off the ground easily - it'll save time and money!:eek::eek::eek:

Do I then have to get a tailwheel endorsement? :)

Do I then have to get a tailwheel endorsement? :)

More specifically you'd need a taildragger endorsement (now where's that rimshot smiley?)

LOL - Clark, you are technicallly correct! :)

Replacing the lower o-ring stopped the bottom end leak last week.

Looks like replacing the top washer (which I guess is also the seal - surprised me that there's not some kind of composite washer/gasket material on the top as well) has stopped the top-end leak, according to another club member.

The stickyness has not been looked at or attempted to be reproduced yet.

Last edited:
Back