Dakota LED lighting options

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
My PA28-236 (Dakota) is in annual and due to travel and local events, I will not be flying for the next month so I am thinking of upgrading my lights to LEDs.

1. I am looking at Knots 2U wingtips with embedded LED landing lights, probably with the Precise Flight Pulse Kit. The way it is switched, it seems I will have to pulse with alternating nose/wingtips, rather than nose-on and wag the tips.

2. Beacon to replace the giant red coffee-can light: Aveo RedBaron XP Galactica vs Whelen Red/White LED. The Aveo seems like a lower profile. Thoughts?

3. For the wingtips, I am thinking nav/strobe/position with Orion 600/650 (what is the difference?). They seem to generate less RF noise problems than the Aveo Ultra Galactica lights.

4. Tail light.... any thoughts on this one?

Thanks.

Let me know what you decide please.
Might need to upgrade ours at sometime in the future.

Have you checked P28b forum or pipwr forum? Someone there might have some info.

I have the wht/red whelen beacon and the Orion 500 on the rudder. Both are stupid bright. The whelens are STced. I believe the Aveo will require a field approval.

The 600/650 is based on footprint which one you need.

Last edited:
I am not exactly sure what beacon I have. It does have a strobe in it and is white/red but I don't know if it is the "coffee can" strobe that people say adds 2-3kts of drag.

It looks a bit like this one:

http://www.knots2u.net/whelen-hrcfa-self-contained-strobe-red-white-3-7-dia-base-01-0770029-31/

IMG_0585.jpg

I got the HID lights for the wingtips. They are brighter than the LED in the nose but I don't know if it is material for most operations. The HID lights do illuminate the ground pretty good so they would help (or scare me) on an off-airport landing at night if the electrical system is still functioning.

The wig-wag is set up for the wingtips only. The nose light is not involved.

I did not change the position lights or strobes when the new wingtips were put on.

The wig-wag is set up for the wingtips only. The nose light is not involved.

How are your switches set up?

I have a wide switch that controls my current nose light (LED), and a split switch which controls the fin (one half) and nav/strobe/position (the other half).

If I replace the wide switch with a split switch, I can leave the nose on one half, but then the wing tips would always be on wig-wag, with no way to have then steady on.

Right?

Wiil the K2U wingtips take any type of bulb (normal, LED or HID) or are they bulb-type specific?

If I were you, I'd call K2U and get the low profile beacon fairing which will convert it to the 1.5" size beacon, then do the beacon of choice. You might very well see a knot or so out of it.

How are your switches set up?

I have a wide switch that controls my current nose light (LED), and a split switch which controls the fin (one half) and nav/strobe/position (the other half).

If I replace the wide switch with a split switch, I can leave the nose on one half, but then the wing tips would always be on wig-wag, with no way to have then steady on.

Right?

Wiil the K2U wingtips take any type of bulb (normal, LED or HID) or are they bulb-type specific?

I did not change the factory light switch setup. I did add a three position toggle for the wingtip lights.

The mounting bracket for the lights looks to me like it can be changed but I haven't investigated that. The HIDs will last longer than I'll have the plane.

I did not change the factory light switch setup. I did add a three position toggle for the wingtip lights.

The mounting bracket for the lights looks to me like it can be changed but I haven't investigated that. The HIDs will last longer than I'll have the plane.

So what does your three position switch do?

I assume it powers the nose and both wingtips, right? So how are the three positions configured? Are you able to get a steady nose light and pulsing wingtips with this setup? I could replace my two-position wide Landing Light switch with a three-position switch.

I gather you added a new switch... where did you find room to put it? The only place I have some room is on the other side of the passenger yoke shaft.

Switches.jpg

Last edited:
So what does your three position switch do?

I assume it powers the nose and both wingtips, right? So how are the three positions configured? Are you able to get a steady nose light and pulsing wingtips with this setup? I could replace my two-position wide Landing Light switch with a three-position switch.

I gather you added a new switch... where did you find room to put it? The only place I have some room is on the other side of the passenger yoke shaft.

No, the new switch only powered the wingtip lights. The three positions are off, pulse, and continuous. Put the switch anywhere on the panel it fits.

Back