DA40 & Instrument Training

lsimonds

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Lisa Simonds
Haven't been to the forums for awhile - I was stingy and wouldn't spend my money this summer to fly in the Texas heat.

But I got a card in the mail a couple weeks ago - an answer to an unspoken desire - one of my local FBOs acquired a DA40. I've flown the model twice and loved it. So off I trotted for a checkout. I really like the airplane: it's got modern stuff like a transponder that automatically switches from stdby to alt and back, an HSI, Garmin 530 & 430, an autopilot. Lots of goodies, great vis and fun handling and (drumroll, please) a stick!

So, while we were flying, I lamented to the FBO owner I really wanted to get an instrument rating but just didn't have the budget for the flying I felt I needed to do to pursue it. He suggested instead of going out and practicing landings or just horsing around, that I get hood time instead to build some experience, even if it's not as frequent as I'd like. He suggested Microsoft Flight Sim (which I have) to help with my scan. SIDE NOTE: there's an article about the benefit of Flight Sim in this month's AOPA. Also, he knows I work in ATC, so I live in that world 40 hours a week, which helps.

I guess I was in the right frame of mind, because I thought, Why not? Even having to pay for the instructor, it's a better use of my $$ to build the experience than just messing around as I usually do. Even though I had determined I would get my instrument in a G1000 cockpit, I have to admit learning on the steam gauges will be better and a more challenging experience. It will be a lot simpler to transition to glass than vice versa. Also, I like flying with another pilot (even if I have to pay) better than by myself all the time - it's just more fun to me. So this is how I'll spend my flying $$ this coming year (except for flying the Citabria for tailwheel fun)

Just wanted to blog a little, but I welcome comments about this plan or about the DA40. I need a lot more experience in the airplane and I'm so looking forward to spending some time with it. I used to fly an Arrow at the same field, which I loved dearly, but they sold it. Like the Arrow, I don't mind spending my hard earned $$ on the Diamond.

Happy flying.

Lisa
350 hour private pilot (instrument rating on the way - maybe!):goofy:

lsimonds said:
So, while we were flying, I lamented to the FBO owner I really wanted to get an instrument rating but just didn't have the budget for the flying I felt I needed to do to pursue it.

See if you can find someone local who has a Frasca 141/2 or similar high quality IFR approved simulator like device. Training in those is much more productive (i.e. probably ~2-3x the number of productive procedures per hour in a sim versus time wasted transitioning back to the productive procedure in the aircraft), and the training cost is usually ~1/2 or less versus the aircraft rental (or operating) cost. IOW, you get ~4-6x the training for your money.

Yes, it isn't flying an airplane, but it's still interesting fun.

lsimonds said:
Just wanted to blog a little, but I welcome comments about this plan or about the DA40. I need a lot more experience in the airplane and I'm so looking forward to spending some time with it. I used to fly an Arrow at the same field, which I loved dearly, but they sold it. Like the Arrow, I don't mind spending my hard earned $$ on the Diamond.

Lisa,

Cool! I love the DA40. I second Ed's comment, find a nearby Frasca. It'll be a lot more realistic than MSFS will ever be, and it's dirt cheap compared to an airplane.

You're also right about learning instruments on the steam gauges vs. the G1000. I'm doing my instrument in an old Archer (almost done) and I got to fly a G1000-equipped DA40 a couple of weeks ago. It was more difficult at the beginning (too much information on the screen at first, and airspeed/altitude presented differently) but after about 15-20 minutes on it under the hood, I was able to adapt and interpret things better. The AI depiction on the G1000 makes things WAY easier (you can easily spot departures in your peripheral vision while tuning radios and such) and once you get the rest ingrained into your brain it's a piece of cake. Doing your IR on the G1000, you'd need to do just as much training on a steam-gauge plane to make the transition, if not more, IMHO.

Have fun with the DA40!

Back