DA20 Experiences

Sbndominic

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
SbnDominic
I recently began training in a DA20. Beautiful plane, I really enjoy flying it. However, recently the engine has been running rough and has had to be flown leaned at low altitude in cold temps. This has made me uncomfortable. My research has lead me to question the reliability of the Continental IO-240 B engine as similar issues have been reported with this engine in this aircraft. Does anyone out there have long term history with this engine that could provide me more info regrading reliability?

Doss Aviation has used them for Air Force Initial Flight Screening for thousands upon thousands of hours and they keep flying...

Have you tried one of the Diamond forums? I'm asking as that seems very model specific. We have a few Diamondites here, but IIRC most of them fly the DA-40.

I've not experienced problems, and with a 20, if you lose the engine, you'll glide a long way. I was doing a check out in one and the instructor cut the engine around 4000agl. I managed to pass two airports and land at the third.:lol:

I recently began training in a DA20. Beautiful plane, I really enjoy flying it. However, recently the engine has been running rough and has had to be flown leaned at low altitude in cold temps. This has made me uncomfortable. My research has lead me to question the reliability of the Continental IO-240 B engine as similar issues have been reported with this engine in this aircraft. Does anyone out there have long term history with this engine that could provide me more info regrading reliability?

Does it have a analyzer?

How are the CHTs/EGTs on run up.

Try burning off the plugs, is it rough on each mag?

Try a full power run up?

James- ever been inna DA-20? Its about as minimalist as they come. VFR only. I doubt it has an analyzer.

I trained in a DA20 about 7 years ago. Really great plane. I miss flying it. I seem to recall that Diamond aircraft have one of the best safety records in it's class.

James- ever been inna DA-20? Its about as minimalist as they come. VFR only. I doubt it has an analyzer.

Flown a bunch of stuff, never had the opertunity to fly a diamond though.

One thing I have noticed renting DA-20s across the country is that a lot of them have the idles set far too high, I commonly see 1000-1200 rpm, and it really makes landing long and difficult. It's already a floaty plane in ground effect at 600rpm, at 1200 once I pulled the mixture to stop the float. I never figured out why people set them like that as they idle just fine at 600-700rpm, and they fly final and land way better.

One thing I have noticed renting DA-20s across the country is that a lot of them have the idles set far too high, I commonly see 1000-1200 rpm, and it really makes landing long and difficult. It's already a floaty plane in ground effect at 600rpm, at 1200 once I pulled the mixture to stop the float. I never figured out why people set them like that as they idle just fine at 600-700rpm, and they fly final and land way better.

When I was doing my training, the FBO had them, and I think they were constantly trying to figure out where to get the idle set. More than once, did I have the engine quit in the flare on landing.

When I was doing my training, the FBO had them, and I think they were constantly trying to figure out where to get the idle set. More than once, did I have the engine quit in the flare on landing.

That's ok, it'll land shorter that way, just roll off and restart.:lol: I have never seemed to have a problem with them at 700 rpm.

Yikes! Might take a mile or so to get the mains on the ground if you can't get below 1000 rpms :eek:

Super fun airplane. When I was flying them, I would pull the power abeam the numbers and pretty much fly a regular pattern. Still not sure the flaps add any drag ...

The da20 I rented had single egt/cht gauge. I would lean for taxi to avoid fouling the plugs. At idle you can't really hurt anything. Also, it is much easier to fly a normal pattern if you put in full flaps abeam the numbers.

I noticed this too, that and it'll run away from you on the ground because of that high idle. Renters are not kind to brakes, either.

We have a 2013 with the MT composite prop, the explanation I was giving for the high idle is to counter the extreme low inertia of that little prop, to keep it from stalling the engine. Excellent gliders though, you can soar in them if the conditions are right. No flap landings are an exercise in energy management and patience.

I noticed this too, that and it'll run away from you on the ground because of that high idle. Renters are not kind to brakes, either.

We have a 2013 with the MT composite prop, the explanation I was giving for the high idle is to counter the extreme low inertia of that little prop, to keep it from stalling the engine. Excellent gliders though, you can soar in them if the conditions are right. No flap landings are an exercise in energy management and patience.

I've wondered about that. I have a few hours in a rental DA40, and it would not stay running at normal idle. But I thought that might have been an issue with vapor lock at low idle. It did have the composite MT prop.

Back