D/C H10-30 Popping noise...weird

drmax

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
drmax
Hello. I've got a bit more t/s'ing to do, but I have a pair of said subject in passenger side or my RV9A. Yep, they are very very old. I use a pilot usa set.
As of recent...when passenger flying and intercom set to "all", when the passenger turns head anything but forwards, there is this consistant "pop pop pop" sound, darn near to the 2nd hand of a watch. I've isolated from the auto pilot. I don't think it is the cord as I shook this down while in flight. Only thing I have yet to do is swap headset positions to confirm it is the D/C headset. So if the problem follows, what would cause this? Thx, DM

Hello. I've got a bit more t/s'ing to do, but I have a pair of said subject in passenger side or my RV9A. Yep, they are very very old. I use a pilot usa set.
As of recent...when passenger flying and intercom set to "all", when the passenger turns head anything but forwards, there is this consistant "pop pop pop" sound, darn near to the 2nd hand of a watch. I've isolated from the auto pilot. I don't think it is the cord as I shook this down while in flight. Only thing I have yet to do is swap headset positions to confirm it is the D/C headset. So if the problem follows, what would cause this? Thx, DM

Relaxation oscillator generally caused by the power supply developing a high impedance and not enough output capacitance to hold it steady. Some headset amplifiers are more prone to this sensitivity than others ...especially those designed LOTS of years ago without modern semiconductor devices with lots of power supply rejection ratio (PSRR).

And please don't use "weird". Way too close. "Strange" is more better.
:goofy:

Jim Weir(d)

Relaxation oscillator generally caused by the power supply developing a high impedance and not enough output capacitance to hold it steady. Some headset amplifiers are more prone to this sensitivity than others ...especially those designed LOTS of years ago without modern semiconductor devices with lots of power supply rejection ratio (PSRR).

And please don't use "weird". Way too close. "Strange" is more better.
:goofy:

Jim Weir(d)

Well I couldn't have said it better myself... Want a job? ;)

However, there are some other options, so let's go through some stuff first.
I want to be clear, that you're saying that on the right seat connections of your aircraft, while wearing the headset in question the following occurs when:

The autopilot is engaged, and the user turns their head in a fashion other than straight forward, there is feedback in the headset?
If this is correct which of the following is correct:
Is the popping in both ears or just one?
If you adjust the headset around the ears, does the popping stop?
Check the overhead cable to see if it is the culprit by manipulating it where it enters the ear assemblies.

See if you can recreate the issue without head movements. Once you have completed all those steps, then proceed to our website and get yourself a brand new custom headset.:wink2:

hehe, but let us know what you find.

Last edited:
Dc's turning into a pair a Zulu 2's now that they came down another 50 and they're giving me 200 for these old uncomyfy noisy things!;)

Back