CZW SportCruiser Pilot

Discussion in 'Home Builders and Sport Pilots' started by Doc L, Apr 30, 2022.

1. Doc L

Doc L Filing Flight Plan

Display name:
    Doc
    Hey, all -

I am new to this forum. I now own a 2008 CZW SportCruiser E-SLA and I am flying with a flight instructor to knock off the rust before exploring from my base at Coastal SE NC. I'd be happy to hear from other sport pilots transitioning from flying traditional GA SEL aircraft to LSA flying.

Doc

exncsurfer and FancyG like this.
  2. Cluemeister

Cluemeister Line Up and Wait PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Cluemeister
    rtk11 likes this.
  3. midlifeflyer

midlifeflyer Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Mark
    There is also a decent SportCruiser group on Facebook.

4. Doc L

Doc L Filing Flight Plan

Display name:
    Doc
    Thanks for the tip about the SportCruiser forum!

5. Mikey B

Mikey B Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    Mike
    rtk11 likes this.
  6. exncsurfer

exncsurfer Pattern Altitude

Display name:
    exncsurfer
    Welcome to POA. I rented a Skycatcher for a bit, does that count? It was just a typical rental checkout. You'll notice the wind more now in the LSA!

7. midlifeflyer

midlifeflyer Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Mark
    I'm curious... in what ways is the SportCruiser E-LSA dIfferent from the SportCruiser S-LSA?

8. odie451

odie451 Pre-Flight

Display name:
    odie451
    As an S-LSA, a person would need a LOA from the aircraft manufacturer to make any changes to the aircraft. Hard to do when the manufacturer files for bankruptcy. By converting to an E-LSA, an owner would be able to make changes to the aircraft. Examples would be avionics upgrades. Also as an E-LSA an owner can do the conditional inspection after taking a 16 hour light sport repairman inspection course.

midlifeflyer likes this.
  9. lsaway

lsaway Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    lsaway
    S-LSA the aircraft was built by the manufacturer and the manufacturer dictates what repairs, updates, and maintenance can be done by the operator. Often, dealing with the manufacturer is worse than the FAA. I talked to 1 manufacturer about repairing a damaged wingtip and they said they will not authorize or support any repairs to a damaged airplane, and if I convert the plane from s-lsa to e-lsa they will not sell me any replacement parts for that serial number. S-lsa aircraft can be rented out, used for flight instruction or other limited commercial interests. Once an airplane is converted from s-lsa to e-lsa, it can never go back and never be used for any of the prior commercial activities.

10. Warmi

Warmi Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    Warmi
    You should probably list the manufacturer so we know who not to buy from …
    I own a plane manufactured by a company that allows just about any user based maintenance short of structural airframe repairs http://www.tl-ultralight.cz/en/ultralight-aircraft/tl-2000-sting-s4
    So it is all about who are you dealing with ..

11. lsaway

lsaway Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    lsaway
    I totally agree that its all about who you are dealing with. Your manufacturer allows maintenance short of airframe structural repairs. What if your airframe develops a crack somewhere, or experiences a minor incident? With a normal category airplane, structural repairs can be performed according to FAA guidelines. With an SLSA, the manufacturer must approve the structural repair. If manufacturer won't do it due to liability fears or doesn't have engineers on staff to deal with it, then the airplane has to be scrapped out or converted to experimental in order to fix it. I think this is a huge problem with SLSA aircraft in general.

12. Kenny Phillips

Kenny Phillips En-Route

Display name:
    Kenny Phillips
    As you mentioned, the problem can be solved with the change to E-SLA. If there's enough damage, it's likely not worth a bunch fixed anyway.

13. Doc L

Doc L Filing Flight Plan

Display name:
    Doc
    I do suppose that counts! I hear what you are saying about the wind! 1320 pounds isn't much and can certainly get banged around. Fortunately, here in coastal SE NC, you can always fly over the water and avoid the bumps!