Cylinders "pitted"

Apache123

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Hey, Steve!
The annual only had one squawk -- one of the cylinders was sent out for being pitted and getting a rechrome. This are what words I remember -- anyone mind elaborating what this typically means?

The engine has been running smooth (O-320) and no issues at all in flight, start-up, or cruise. Burns a qt about every 5hrs.

It was the ... Ahh I forget the number, farthest forward on the plane and from the pilots seat the left side. I don't know how significant this is, if at all.

Thanks for all/any info. =D

Steven

It means about $850 plus push/pull labor in Dallas.

The annual only had one squawk -- one of the cylinders was sent out for being pitted and getting a rechrome. This are what words I remember -- anyone mind elaborating what this typically means?

The engine has been running smooth (O-320) and no issues at all in flight, start-up, or cruise. Burns a qt about every 5hrs.

It was the ... Ahh I forget the number, farthest forward on the plane and from the pilots seat the left side. I don't know how significant this is, if at all.

Thanks for all/any info. =D

Steven

Pitting is rust or delaminating of the chrome on the cylinder walls. The cylinder is taken off and sent into an engine shop to be reworked back to specs.

How many hours on the engine? Cylinders?

I think pilot's side forward is number 2 cylinder. Nothing significant about the location I can think of.

Last edited:
Pitting is rust or delaminating of the chrome on the cylinder walls. The cylinder is taken off and sent into an engine shop to be reworked back to specs.

How many hours on the engine? Cylinders?

If the cylinder was pitted, it wasn't a chrome cylinder to start with.

Cylinders are throw away items in my world...
Lots of parts make sense for reconditioning and repair... Cylinders are not one of those however...
They are highly stressed and 'reworking' one that is already in failure mode is not a good bet in my book... Better a freshly forged and machined cylinder than betting those micro cracks won't become macro cracks at a really bad moment...
To each his own (shrug) ...

Ah! Can a cylinder that was chromed be rechromed?

Yes they are honed over size and re-chromed again and again.

Try finding a new cylinder for a Warner 145 or a Continental 330 horse.

When you know the time on a cylinder, it some times makes sense to overhaul it, but to chrome when there are new available doesn't make much sense to me.

Cylinders are throw away items in my world...
Lots of parts make sense for reconditioning and repair... Cylinders are not one of those however...
They are highly stressed and 'reworking' one that is already in failure mode is not a good bet in my book... Better a freshly forged and machined cylinder than betting those micro cracks won't become macro cracks at a really bad moment...
To each his own (shrug) ...

I'd agree if it weren't for watching some folks go through ADs on cylinders that were new.

It's a crap shoot these days. Quality control has mostly gone to hell.

I'd agree if it weren't for watching some folks go through ADs on cylinders that were new.

It's a crap shoot these days. Quality control has mostly gone to hell.
What is the most resent AD on cylinders?

What is the most resent AD on cylinders?

Dunno. It was a TR182. You'd know better than I. Cylinders were all pulled and replaced at manufacturer's cost. I could ask for more details.

Was three years ago.

Back