Cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril)

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
I was prescribed this today for a medical issue I have been dealing with. I checked AOPA's medical database and it is listed as "Not allowed"

Does that mean I cannot take it an fly EVER, I cannot operate an airplane while taking it, or can I take it, not operate a plane for a period of time?

I have had this stuff before many, MANY years ago and it knock me out. There is no way I would drive or even bicycle while taking it. I just do not wish to loose my medical due to taking a drug for a few days.

I assume you can't fly on any muscle relaxants. Presumably you're grounded until you stop taking it. I find it hard to believe you'd loose your medical over a one time condition; how many of us have taken the occasional benadryl for allergies? It sounds like you'll self-ground while on it, which is a very good thing for you, the people who fly with you, the people who live under you, us... well everybody.

I assume you can't fly on any muscle relaxants. Presumably you're grounded until you stop taking it. I find it hard to believe you'd loose your medical over a one time condition; how many of us have taken the occasional benadryl for allergies? It sounds like you'll self-ground while on it, which is a very good thing for you, the people who fly with you, the people who live under you, us... well everybody.
That is what I am hoping it is. I am just concerned that language on the AOPA medical database is "NOT ALLOWED", sound ominous. Before I put a tab in my mouth I want to make an informed decision if it is worth it. In the meantime the steriod and anti-imflamitory state that they ok as long as there are no adverse effects. Since I am not currently having any serious muscle spasm I can hold off.

The "not allowed" generally means you can't fly while you're taking it, and beyond that, you have to ask to be sure. However, from the discussion above, I gather it's a muscle relaxant, and unless the underlying condition is a problem on its own, the general rule on something like that is you should be good to go after twice the dosage interval after your last dose (e.g., if it says "take ever six hours," you should be OK to fly after 12 hours). Nevertheless, you would be wise to wait until Bruce stops by and comments or you call your Regional Flight Surgeon's office (FSDO has the number) and ask them.

Well, if it's a problem, then I'm already hosed, because I took some when I was in the ER for a back spasm, and they gave me a scrip to take with. (I did self-ground.)

It's not permanently "hosing" guys. But intermittent use (+ intermitent self grounding) has to be convincingly intermittent, with convincing long periods in between use.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back