CVR transcript, Comair/Lexington accident

I think there's a difference between looking at an accident and saying, "they did X things wrong" and ripping people because you think they were idiots. The latter is not constructive, the inference being that I am not an idiot and would never do anything so stupid.

That is a really important point. Thank you for that.

I suggest that over 50% of us never check DG alignment with assigned runway, even SINCE this crash. Test yourself after your next flight..."Did I.....or did I forget??"

I do. Forgot once in IMC and have been religious ever since. Check to compass then check to runway after lineup.

I do. Forgot once in IMC and have been religious ever since. Check to compass then check to runway after lineup.

It has occurred to me that, since I virtually always initiate out of a field at which I have an initial heading assigned, and it is almost always runway heading, I automatically do it by virtue of having the heading bug set to the runway heading and noting its alignment.

But I *was* taught to always cross-check DG, mag compass and runway heading when I lined up.

Back