CVG transit info

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
If WX is good, I'm going to Andrew's BBQ/Air Force Museum gig, and that will require getting to MGY from the south, and I'm filing IFR.

I was thinking:

V333 HKY T217 HEDEN MGY

I was thinking HEDEN to jump off T217, but maybe I should go a bit further, PRUDE?

This would take me on the T route around the east side of the B, between the B and the Buckeye MOA. Will I get this, or will they send me on some 'round the world in 180 days like re-route?

Are you slash G?

Go to HKY and then file direct FLM direct MGY. That'll keep you on the edge of cinci bravo and going mostly straight to MGY.

Are you slash G?

Go to HKY and then file direct FLM direct MGY. That'll keep you on the edge of cinci bravo and going mostly straight to MGY.

Yes, /G, and yes, that is a more straight route, but is does go thru the CVG bravo on the eastern edge. I've heard CVG approach is not real accomodating, and your route saves me 4.5 miles and 3 minutes over my proposed route.

If I did get your route, no doubt they'd keep me high and slam dunk me into MGY. For a few extra minutes and miles, I'd rather file something reasonable, and not have to take a re-route.

Are you slash G?

You won't get it. The T-Routes are the old preferred routes that were listed in the AFM. Cincy approach is not particularly accomodating, although the east side is much better than the west (CVG launches jets on 27, and DL prefers to launch from 27 because it's a very short taxi).

On the east side is LUK, I69 (think Sporty's), and ISZ, all of which get quite a lot of traffic especially if the weather is good. The CVG Class B compresses a lot of traffic to the NE side going into those airports.... and direct will cross the preferred instrument approaches to ISZ VOR-24/GPS-24 and LUK (ILS 21L).

Yes, /G, and yes, that is a more straight route, but is does go thru the CVG bravo on the eastern edge. I've heard CVG approach is not real accomodating, and your route saves me 4.5 miles and 3 minutes over my proposed route.

If I did get your route, no doubt they'd keep me high and slam dunk me into MGY. For a few extra minutes and miles, I'd rather file something reasonable, and not have to take a re-route.

I'd file T-217 HEDEN then direct. If it's a slow day, you may get 'em to let you cut the corner before HEDEN, but it really depends on 1) traffic into CVG, 2) Traffic into/out-of LUK as the set-up for the ILS 21R is near there, 3) your altitude, and 4) the LOA between CVG and DAY approach. If they'd ever combine those two TRACONs, it would make it a lot easier.

The position at CVG approach that handles the NE sector is a lot more accomodating to GA traffic because there is so much GA into those three relievers, plus the folks headed into HAO from the east.

If it's a nice day, cancel IFR and go VFR once you get near I69. From personal experience, they'll let you a LOT closer if you're VFR.

See I fly around O'Hare and find them to be the least accommodating off all Class B's so had assumed that staying just outside the edge of Cinci bravo would be just fine.

Interesting.

People talk about how bad the Chicago and NY (in particular) class B's are. My B experience is mostly out west, Seattle, San Francisco, So Cal and some in Boston.

In my experience there is nothing really "BAD" about just filing through a Bravo. I usually get it, and even when I don't I can usually haggle a bit on the assigned routing or go VFR on Top.

~ Christopher

I went on a 135 with my first CFI once - AQW -> MIV, and we got through the B without issue - even paralelled EWR final, which was a hoot as a 5 hour student.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Back