Cutlass Contact points

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
So my CFI and I could not find where the contact points for the landing gear are on the 172RG. It made no mention of it in the POH either. It is NOT like a 182RG, because the contact points were not in the wheel wells. Are they internal?

So my CFI and I could not find where the contact points for the landing gear are on the 172RG. It made no mention of it in the POH either. It is NOT like a 182RG, because the contact points were not in the wheel wells. Are they internal?

Contact points for what system/indicator?

I am assuming that you are talking about the "Uplocks?"

In the 172RG there is no uplock system. From the maintenance manual:

5-45. DESCRIPTION. The tubular main gear struts rotate aft and inboard to stow the main wheels beneath the baggage compartment. The main gear utilizes hydraulic pressure for positive uplock, and mechanical downlocks. Main gear uplock pressure is maintained automatically by the pump assembly. Rotation of the gear to extend or retract the struts is achieved through pivot assemblies, which are in turn bolted through a splined shaft, to the hydraulic
rotary actuators.

How does the gear up indicator know the gear is up?

I thought he might be referring to the end switches that make when gear is in the full up position.

Sorry I meant to specify. The landing gear being in the up position.
Ok that's better. The system operates on a pressure switch system. So when system develops 1500PSI it opens the circuit and holds 1000psi, until you reverse the handle. From the Maintenance manual:

5-19. DESCRIPTION. A pressure switch is located in the cover of the power pack. The switch opens the electrical circuit to the pump solenoid when pressure in the system increases to approximately 1500 psi. The pressure switch will continue to hold the electrical circuit open until pressure in the system drops to approximtely 1000 psi. at which time the pump will again operate to build up pressure to approximately 1500 psi. regardless of gear selector handle position. The pressure switch also activates the amber GEAR UP indicator light

Hope that helps.

Ok that's better. The system operates on a pressure switch system. So when system develops 1500PSI it opens the circuit and holds 1000psi, until you reverse the handle. From the Maintenance manual:

5-19. DESCRIPTION. A pressure switch is located in the cover of the power pack. The switch opens the electrical circuit to the pump solenoid when pressure in the system increases to approximately 1500 psi. The pressure switch will continue to hold the electrical circuit open until pressure in the system drops to approximtely 1000 psi. at which time the pump will again operate to build up pressure to approximately 1500 psi. regardless of gear selector handle position. The pressure switch also activates the amber GEAR UP indicator light

Hope that helps.

Perfect! Thanks! We were confused because on both the Arrow and 182RG (other retracts I've flown) there are contact switches in the wheel wells that we push to make sure they click on the preflight... the 172RG didn't have these. It's good to know its internal thank you!

Back