Cut my flight short yesterday

MassPilot

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
FloridaPilot
I rented a DA20 yesterday to do some pattern work and airwork solo. I decided to start off with a lap around the pattern and a full stop, taxi back. I take off and get to downwind when it's time to put in some flaps. I reach to grab the flap lever, and it not there. It was there a minute ago when I retracted the flaps after takeoff, but the turbulence must have knocked it off. In it's place are two tiny switches.

I push one of the switches down one click, and nothing happens. I push the other switch down one click and the flaps lower. It must be a safety in case one of the switches shorts. When it's time to put in full flaps I push both switches all the way down and the flaps move all the way down. I start thinking this is no big deal and I can land and takeoff again as planned.

Then I realize that this is going to make a potential go-around difficult. I would have to retract flaps in stages using these two tiny switches which need to be in the same position or the flaps don't move. It's a 2600 foot runway with a huge hill on the end, so there's not a lot of margin for error. I landed and parked the plane, logging .3 on the Hobbs. Guess I need to add "flap lever attached and secure" to my before-takeoff checklist.

Attachments

• Diamond_DA20-C1_C-GEQA_Tableau_de_bord.jpg
    Diamond_DA20-C1_C-GEQA_Tableau_de_bord.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 56
Thank you Duncan for never letting the flaps switch fall off of N107CL while I was flying her.

Back