Customer owned avionics install in San Diego recommendations

jd21476

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
jd21476
I traded for a brand new Garmin GNC 355 in the box. I am looking for a good avionics shop to do the install but the one I was going to use said they wont install any customer owned equipment. Can anyone recommend someone in the San Diego area who will?

Have you checked with Ramona Avionics? They do good work. Instrument Overhaul are usually willing to work with people.

Ramona Avionics said they only install what they purchase. I will never go to Instrument Overhaul again. They lied to me about my transponder and basically ripped me off on an install. Terrible customer service and borderline thieves.

I'll be watching this thread. Disappointed to hear about IOS. My next door hanger neighbor speaks very highly of them.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Well I took my plane in because my altitude encoder was mot working. It was an old Narco encoder that came with the plane. I had recently swapped out my transponder to a Narco AT165 that I had purchased from an avionics shop and and it slid right in to replace my old Narco AT150.

Anyway, the shop calls me and says that the encoder ia fine and my transponder is bad. I explained that I had bought it about 2 months ago from an avionics shop and it was fine. They said they bench tested both and the transponder was bad but they could sell me a used Garmin GTX 330 for $1500. I said no, Ill just come get the plane. He then says he is already $400 in to the plane so he’d have to charge me at least that.

So since I was kind of between a rock and a hard place I say fine, install the GTX 330 and Ill try to return the AT165.

Anyway, with tax and everything I was now $1850 in to a new transponder. When I picked up the plane the encoder still was not working. I took it back and the owner, big fat guy, tells me to stop bitching and at least I got a new transponder.

Then I send back my AT165. The shop bench tests it....and guess what...its perfect so they keep $125 for a restock fee.

I was tempted to sue IOS but I just dont have the time but Ill never go there again and I hope everyone reads this.

I traded for a brand new Garmin GNC 355 in the box. I am looking for a good avionics shop to do the install but the one I was going to use said they wont install any customer owned equipment. Can anyone recommend someone in the San Diego area who will?

Aren't there like 3 avionics shops at Gillespie. IOS, the jet place on the north side of the field, and a place on the Southeast side of the field.

The problem you'll have with customer owned avionics is exactly what you've run into at Ramona. They make very little money on installing your equipment. But when there is a problem, you'll want it repaired and there will be a big argument as to whose fault it is that something broke, wore out, or doesn't work. You may be able to find some shadetree avionics guy that works from his van, but I don't know of any. Good luck.

Back