Cursor is jumping around

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
I find that when I am typing in a post and in my email program (verizon) my cursor will often jump backward ( it just did it) into the middle of what I have already typed. It can really be a pain in the arse. I have to then back space erase the erronious part then jump back to the end of what I was typing.

Whats happening and how do I stop it? THANKS

Are you using a desktop or laptop? Sometimes on the laptop, I'll accidentally hit the touch pad and the cursor will jump.

I find that when I am typing in a post and in my email program (verizon) my cursor will often jump backward ( it just did it) into the middle of what I have already typed. It can really be a pain in the arse. I have to then back space erase the erronious part then jump back to the end of what I was typing.

Whats happening and how do I stop it? THANKS

If you're typing on a laptop with a touchpad below the keyboard, the problem is likely caused by part of your hand(s) touching the pad. Some touchpad drivers have an option to disable tapping for some time after a key is hit which helps eliminate the problem. If you are using such a computer and aren't certain this is your problem, use the touchpad to position the cursor on the taskbar over a tab for some application other than the one you are using. If the computer switches applications while you are typing you have found the source of your problem.

In fact, you don't even have to touch the pad - mere closeness can do it. When I'm using my laptop at home I plug in a USB mouse and disable the pad, and problem is solved.

Now, if you're using a desktop, you might want to check your mouse.

If you're typing on a laptop with a touchpad below the keyboard, the problem is likely caused by part of your hand(s) touching the pad. Some touchpad drivers have an option to disable tapping for some time after a key is hit which helps eliminate the problem. If you are using such a computer and aren't certain this is your problem, use the touchpad to position the cursor on the taskbar over a tab for some application other than the one you are using. If the computer switches applications while you are typing you have found the source of your problem.

Which is exactly why I disable tap-to-click entirely. There's a button right there anyway!

Adam, if ya had a Mac...

...I could tell you exactly how to disable touchpad clicking or at least turn on the option to disable it while you're typing. ;)

Back