Current regulatory status of radio-controlled/model aircraft ops?

alaskaflyer

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Alaskaflyer
There was a previous thread but I couldn't find it.

Leaving aside the current NPRM and Congressional back and forth, which won't likely result in any new limits before the end of this year, what are the current regulatory limits on radio controlled aircraft operations so far as the FAA is concerned? For this discussion I'm not talking about an event or a club environment but rather a single person on his own wanting to fly upwards of 100 AGL but remain VLOS.

Does AC 91-57 still pretty much cover it for now until the new rulemaking is finalized, or has something else been put in place since 1981?

Last edited:
Technically, Part 91 applies since they are "aircraft" as defined in Part 1 but they are not covered by either Part 101 or Part 91. AC 91-57 provides guidance for compliance with the regulations by operators of those aircraft. Beyond that, until a comprehensive regulatory package for remotely piloted aircraft is produced, that's what you have if you want to operate model R/C aircraft.

Thanks.

As an aside, I read part 101 the first time the other day. Some interesting requirements in there.

Back