Current ADS-B coverage map?

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
So I've seen the same ADS-B coverage map floating around the interwebs for a while now, but it's no longer accurate and they're quickly closing the gaps. Even the "official" one at http://www.faa.gov/nextgen/flashmap/ seems like it may not be up to date...

I flew from KMWC to KASG in January and again last week for business. In January, I lost the signal partway through Missouri and didn't pick it up again. This past week, I had excellent signal for the entire trip, picking up as many as 5 different stations at 7500 feet in SW MO where there was no coverage at all four months earlier.

Anyone know where to get a better map? Or know the guy at the FAA who's supposed to keep it up to date? ;)

Thanks,

Yeah, that looks about like what the FAA shows, but I think there's more now. KASG is right in the northwest corner of AR, so that big gap over AR and MO appears to be covered now. Wish I'd have taken a screen shot so I could plot where the antennas I was receiving were located.

The FAA site is updated monthly, but I suspect it doesn't add a site until it has been officially commissioned. It seems the sites are up and running for several months before they show up on the FAA site.

There has been a recommendation that the locations of the sites be charted on the sectionals. I think this is a good idea. Charting the sites on the sectional would not help during the phase in period, but by the end of next year, they should all be up and running. If the site locations were published on the sectional, I would hope it would contain some basic information to give the pilot an idea of the service volume. The information I would recommend would be the altitude, and the type high, medium, or low. The different sites offer differing levels of products, for example the low sites (the majority) don't include the CONUS NEXRAD data. The altitude of the site would give the pilot an indication of how high one would have to be to receive the site, particularly in mountainous areas. I would suggest an icon with the letters H,M, and L and the elevation be printed on the chart. Thoughts and comments are welcome.

Back