Cured by the sight of treetops.

KeithASanford

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MyTurnToFly
My name is Keith and I'm a husband, father and one day, a pilot. Oh, and nothing's going to stop me.

I'm completely new to this idea of learning to fly. I had no dreams as a kid of flying fighters in the military, or getting a job with the airlines. I didn't solo at 16, as a matter of fact, I had a pretty healthy(or unhealthy) fear of flying until I decided to tackle it by going up(against my better judgement at the time) in a Cessna 172 with a friend. My first time in an aircraft that didn't have a bathroom was at the tender age of 47.

Freaked out by what I now know to be mild turbulence(hot day, rough skies) I calmed myself with prayer and bargaining(God, if you spare me this time..."). I happened to look out a window and saw one of the most incredible things I had ever seen....treetops. I was instantly changed. The fear was quickly replaced with the desire to visit those treetops again.

I got some great advice once about how to stay focused and centered on any endeavor by keeping at the forefront of my mind how little I know and working hard to surround myself with people who are smarter than I am. That pretty much sums up why I'm here. I'm also here because God is gracious and I am in a great place in my life that I can begin to plan to visit those treetops on my own terms one day through means that I will eventually define as reasonable aircraft ownership. (I do understand there's a real chance that there's no such thing.) I also understand learning to fly is first so my main focus is lessons that will begin in January.

Happy Holidays everyone! With any luck my New Year will be filled with adventure.

Great to hear another one in training, you will really like this forum, great people here with great advise and real word suggestions on your questions.. I just started as well so enjoy the trip..

Every airplane can have a bathroom! Just you wait and see how creative we pilots can be with that! :rolleyes: Welcome to PoA!

A good friend of mine was deathly afraid of flying. He decided to cure himself by taking a few flying lessons. Several years later he is an instrument rated private pilot and just acquired his third plane.

As for myself, it is twenty-five years later and I still cannot get over the pure joy and beauty of flying my own airplane.

Good luck on your endeavor and enjoy the ride.

Abram

Wait till you see a cloud roiling and building next to you, that is an awesome experience as well, you see and sense the raw power there, it still sends chills up my spine after 20 years.

Sorry, the sight of treetops is not the cure. It is the infection. There is no known cure.

Welcome to POA.

I still like looking at treetops, although some get pretty clear close at one field I frequent!

Keep us posted on your progress!

I remember a long flight from Wilmington NC to Dayton Ohio many years ago. At 6000 feet and over Greensboro my wife says we ARE landing in Greensboro aren't we. I said nope we have a great tailwind and should be home within a couple hours. She says well I need you to land. I proudly hand her the necessity kit I ordered fro Sportys complete with female attachment. She looks at me and says ...... LAND!!!

So my airplane doesn't have a bathroom either I found out.

I remember a long flight from Wilmington NC to Dayton Ohio many years ago. At 6000 feet and over Greensboro my wife says we ARE landing in Greensboro aren't we. I said nope we have a great tailwind and should be home within a couple hours. She says well I need you to land. I proudly hand her the necessity kit I ordered fro Sportys complete with female attachment. She looks at me and says ...... LAND!!!

Yeah, I suggested one of those to my wife and got pretty much the same reaction.

Your buddy did you a big disservice by flying you first time in turbulence. Remember this when you take passengers. Very early in the morning or very late in the day, avoid thermals with passengers.

Looking at stuff is why I fly.

Welcome to POA.

Treetops are nice. High mountain passes are nicer (at least VFR, and with not too much wind).

There is a such thing as a "Cessna bathroom." I had to point one out to my son. The cheap ones had previous lives as Snapple bottles. Never, ever, ever, ever drink "lemonade" or "go bananas" Snapple in a small aircraft.

Sporty's even sells an "attachment" for the ladies. I can't imagine it working without getting "stuff" everywhere.

Last edited:

:rofl::rofl::rofl: I always land for non pilot pax, if you're a pilot, you better be ready to pee in the plane.:D

BTW, I know a gal who can write we're name in the snow.:rofl:

Last edited:
Treetops are nice. High mountain passes are nicer (at least VFR, and with not too much wind).

There is a such thing as a "Cessna bathroom." I had to point one out to my son. The cheap ones had previous lives as Snapple bottles. Never, ever, ever, ever drink "lemonade" or "go bananas" Snapple in a small aircraft.

Sporty's even sells an "attachment" for the ladies. I can't imagine it working without getting "stuff" everywhere.

Or grab the half full bottle of Lemon Lime Gatorade out of the FBO fridge. If you take vitamin B before you go flying (good idea anyway) your pee will match the color of Gatorade.... Refilled jugs have been spotted in FBO fridges across the country. :lol:;)

I always get a thrill when I turn crosswind and see my shadow going across the ground. Never gets old.

I am inspired by your openness and overcoming your fears.
I flew with my brother as a young boy and man.
At 56, I decided it was time for me to do it myself. No regrets I did not do it when I was young, but just enjoyment of doing it now.

Turbulence makes me sick, even when I am the pilot. :yes:

Welcome to PoA.

My wife and I flew a 172 from Houston to Daytona Beach in October, we both had our own bathroom :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Welcome. Light aircraft as you learned the hard way, are bumped around a bit more than heavier aircraft in the ocean of the sky. You get to where you don't even notice it. It definitely bothers some people at first.

Sounds like you're hooked, nevertheless. You'll enjoy the training. Very different when you're focused on flying the plane vs just riding in it as a passenger.

Enjoy the adventure. It is amazing how different a change in perspective can change your world view. It never ceases to amaze me. How lucky we are to experience the joy of flying!

I always land for non pilot pax, if you're a pilot, you better be ready to pee in the plane

One of the older gentleman I grew up around who was an aeronautical engineer used to say that any plane too small to have a lavatory should be designed with the range dictated by the capacity of a human bladder and not the capacity of the fuel tanks. I always landed to use the bathroom.

Welcome Keith!

I'm a fellow NOVAer flying across the river at VKX. I hope to see you Round the skies soon. Flying in the DC area is great, and will give you the confidence to fly anywhere.

attachment.php

I think this guy enjoyed the view of tree tops as well!

Welcome aboard. You are about to acquire the most expensive and time-consuming addiction ever...it is also the most rewarding.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Welcome to PoA. After airplanes have robbed you blind, get a couple of hours in a helicopter. Trees take on a whole new view as do roads, people, wildlife, and cities.

Back