Cub Training Video

dell30rb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ren
I went up saturday with Eric (whifferdill) in the cub for some pattern practice. This is my first video with the go pro and I have some work to do on the setup and editing but the footage I got is not too bad. It was a bumpy afternoon - a little gusty and a light crosswind from the left.

The first few landings are pretty bouncy but as the video progresses they get better. At 10:10 I make a nice wheel landing and around 15:00 Eric takes over for two laps in the pattern.

If I had to give myself one thing to work on - I could have used a little more nose up trim and done a better job of keeping the airplane off the ground. Most of my attempts at 3 point landings turned out to be tail low wheel landings.

Last edited:
You're keeping it between the ditches...time to get signed off! :)

Good video quality, and the flying not so bad, either...but you'd get alot more bang for the buck if you spent more time on the runway. With my tailwheel students we use most of the length (and sometimes width) of the runway, traffic and ATC permitting. Practice wheel landing on one wheel or practice alternating wheels on the centerline or trying to touchdown on an exact spot on the runway. Learn the effect ailerons have on direction and find a good stiff crosswind, and spend some quality time practicing both 3 pt. and wheelie landings - learn your preference. It isn't enough to just be able to land the airplane in a taildragger: one has to learn to fix their mistakes.

Thanks for watching. I see what you mean about using the length of the runway.. Plenty of time for another touch n go (or two). We did have a fairly busy pattern sat afternoon though.

And if you count all the bounces, I actually made about 15 landings!

It isn't enough to just be able to land the airplane in a taildragger: one has to learn to fix their mistakes.

If you're referring to my above comment, it was flippant and not meant to be taken seriously. Ren has progressed well, and continuously improved on the usual problems new TW pilots face...learning the feel of a new aircraft type, learning the 3-point attitude, where the stick needs to be to get there, noticing and cancelling drift and crab angles before touchdown, bounce recovery, x-wind correction, directional control at touchdown and through the landing roll, etc. Training is nothing but a process of learning to fix your mistakes, and this has definitely been happening.

Back