CTs to Alaska

'back in the air, they plan to fly most of AK, then back down for OSH, then back to the West Coast for Burning Man. They started from Tucson, AZ.

Are they flying the CTLS's voluntarily?

No, some evil person forced good performance, low operational costs, safety and fun on them.:)

Many CT fliers are seasoned pilots who've owned numerous aircraft. Most say their CT is their favorite.:yes:

Last edited:
Good luck on their flight. Going to try a flight up in my liberty,this July. Going to fly the alcan highway as far as Fairbanks.

They are flying on a private or better certificate?

My first thought also. I thought a current medical certificate was one of the paperwork requirements for Canadian airspace??

I see they took the coastal route north. Are they planning the return route along the Al-Can? It's a fun trip!

My hat is off to your friends. The adventurous spirit of aviation lives on! :yes:

Last edited:
Looks like the al can on the way back,on the way to OSH ,following their thread . Now if they can make Hawaii ,I'll be impressed .

Yes, flying PPL w/medical. Needed for Canada overflight.

Not sure, depends on WX. Have done SE up to Anchorage so far. Probably going to Fairbanks today. I'll try and get an better itinerary.
*** edit *** looks like Nome(?) Barrow(?) today...

Last edited:
Sounds like a great adventure. Must be retired to take that much time off. As for the CT I was just reading a very interesting article in Flying Mag on the CT4, Looks very promising with Mooney Speed and fuel economy and 182 room and useful load.

Wonderful video, courageous souls. I'd need a lot more airplane before I'd try and tackle Alaska. Too much weather and too many rocks. Place is littered with wrecks, too.

Nice video,can't wait to try the trip myself. What is your average altitude for the flights through Alaska? Thanks

I have not done the trip yet, but have researched it a bit. It depends on where you fly, and what you are flying. Believe it or not, most of AK is quite low, 1,000 feet or less! Of course, there are several mountain ranges. These guys have been flying 4-8K for the most part. Safety and efficiency. Turbo planes may want to fly higher, or may want to get above weather. Icing can be an issue. Because of coastal weather, a lot of flying in AK is done under a layer of clouds that may be just above legal.:wink2:

Last edited:
Wonderful video, courageous souls. I'd need a lot more airplane before I'd try and tackle Alaska. Too much weather and too many rocks. Place is littered with wrecks, too.

You need to put this on your bucket list Prof. Your soul will never be the same. Besides, you gotta die sometime. :lol:

Take the inland route from Bellingham WA to Lake Wiliams, Prince George, Ft Nelson and then the Al-Can highway to Northway AK. From there either Fairbanks or Anchorage. Do both and stop in Talketna and Homer before heading back.

It's a must do trip!

Take the inland route from Bellingham WA to Lake Wiliams, Prince George, Ft Nelson and then the Al-Can highway to Northway AK. From there either Fairbanks or Anchorage. Do both and stop in Talketna and Homer before heading back.

It's a must do trip!

Up the inside passage this time of year. The coast line is breathtaking. Water falls, calving glaciers, hump back whales. Born in IL, I like to be by or on the oceans.

I have not done the trip yet, but have researched it a bit. It depends on where you fly, and what you are flying. Believe it or not, most of AK is quite low, 1,000 feet or less! Of course, there several mountain ranges. These guys have been flying 4-8K for the most part. Safety and efficiency. Turbo planes may want to fly higher, or may want to get above weather. Icing can be an issue. Because of coastal weather, a lot of flying in AK is done under a layer of clouds that may be just above legal.:wink2:

Thanks for the info on altitudes. All planned out for the inside highway route,leaving July 9. Hope to stop at OSH on the way back.

Wow... the CT Fliers just landed at Point Barrow... The Arctic Ocean and the northernmost point in the US.!!! Was watching weather on the FAA airport weather cams. Just 20 minutes before they landed, it went from partly cloudy to this. Just shows how dangerous flying in AK can be.

Attachments

• barrowlanding2.jpg
    barrowlanding2.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 36
No, some evil person forced good performance, low operational costs, safety and fun on them.:)

Many CT fliers are seasoned pilots who've owned numerous aircraft. Most say their CT is their favorite.:yes:

:) :)

When you say most of Alaska, any specific places in AK?

The plans are very fluid. Today started out as a trip to Fairbanks, but weather sent them up North. It was raining and foggy in Nome, so they ended up in Point Barrow!

Wow... the CT Fliers just landed at Point Barrow... The Arctic Ocean and the northernmost point in the US.!!! Was watching weather on the FAA airport weather cams. Just 20 minutes before they landed, it went from partly cloudy to this. Just shows how dangerous flying in AK can be.

Barrow is a great Alaska destination. I have spent time in Barrow flying a C-207 and Piper Chieftain (31-350). Flying Alaska is not nessecarily dangerous but it can be terribly unforgiving. You do need to be on top of your game. Know your ability, know your planes ability and always have a way out. Don't go into a pass unless a) You have current and reliable reports that the pass is clear. b) You can see through to the other side. Timing can be the difference between safe and not safe. With that said, I was doing the ILS into Barrow. The reported vis was 1/2 mile with snow. After I passed the final approach fix, FSS advised me that the visibility just went to "about 100 feet". I continued and about 10 feet above the runway I saw a runway light go by. In winter the runway is packed snow and ice. The mains hit and I saw another runway light go by. I debated going around but the mains were on the ground. I let the nose wheel settle and I saw another runway light. I was using the localizer to keep centerline. I got stopped and could not see a thing. I could not even see the wing tips by this time. I called flight service and advised them I was still on the runway and could not see. They assured me that no one else was expected soon and that official wx just went zero zero. I got on the company radio and asked for a tow into our ramp. They called me a few minutes later and said they can't see so I am on my own. After about 30 minutes the visibility went up enough so I could see a runway light. I called the company to send a follow me truck and was advised they are on the way. I finally got onto the ramp, put on the wing covers, engine blankets, cowl plugs, plugged in the heaters and tied the plane down. When I got inside, the visibility was up to 3/4 mile. I should say that the time was about 4pm, but this was winter and the sun had set about 3 hours earlier.

Once in Kotzebue, the weather was really terrible. Ceiling and vis wayyyy below minimums. At about 10am the forecast called for no significant change in weather for the day. All flights were cancelled and we were released from duty. By 11am we were in no shape to walk, much less fly. About 1230, I heard an airplane fly over, and looked out the window to see a bright blue perfectly clear sky.!!! uh oh... The station manager called us a few minutes later and asked if we were in shape to fly. Well, yes, unless you want to use the planes again, otherwise no. So much for accurate weather forecast.... The chief pilot would have admonished us for that, but he was there with us.

I spent 7 years flying bush Alaska without bending sheet metal. I did more special VFR departures and arrivals in one year than most pilots will do in several lifetimes. I've seen the northern lights, seen 24 hours of sunshine, 24 hours of no sun, been trapped in an out house by a black bear, seen tens of thousands of caribou, once carried a dead moose as frieght, watched a 727 land on a gravel runway, rode jump seat on DC-6 (C-54) several times, lost several friends in plane crashes, one was a room mate and met some of the most wonderful Eskimo people.

Sorry this was so long. Flying the bush has been one of the most wonderful experiences in my aviation career.

Last edited:

Looks like good VFR to me :D

Barrow is a great Alaska destination. I have spent time in Barrow flying a C-207 and Piper Chieftain (31-350). Flying Alaska is not nessecarily dangerous but it can be terribly unforgiving. You do need to be on top of your game. Know your ability, know your planes ability and always have a way out. Don't go into a pass unless a) You have current and reliable reports that the pass is clear. b) You can see through to the other side. Timing can be the difference between safe and not safe. With that said, I was doing the ILS into Barrow. The reported vis was 1/2 mile with snow. After I passed the final approach fix, FSS advised me that the visibility just went to "about 100 feet". I continued and about 10 feet above the runway I saw a runway light go by. In winter the runway is packed snow and ice. The mains hit and I saw another runway light go by. I debated going around but the mains were on the ground. I let the nose wheel settle and I saw another runway light. I was using the localizer to keep centerline. I got stopped and could not see a thing. I could not even see the wing tips by this time. I called flight service and advised them I was still on the runway and could not see. They assured me that no one else was expected soon and that official wx just went zero zero. I got on the company radio and asked for a tow into our ramp. They called me a few minutes later and said they can't see so I am on my own. After about 30 minutes the visibility went up enough so I could see a runway light. I called the company to send a follow me truck and was advised they are on the way. I finally got onto the ramp, put on the wing covers, engine blankets, cowl plugs, plugged in the heaters and tied the plane down. When I got inside, the visibility was up to 3/4 mile. I should say that the time was about 4pm, but this was winter and the sun had set about 3 hours earlier.

Once in Kotzebue, the weather was really terrible. Ceiling and vis wayyyy below minimums. At about 10am the forecast called for no significant change in weather for the day. All flights were cancelled and we were released from duty. By 11am we were in no shape to walk, much less fly. About 1230, I heard an airplane fly over, and looked out the window to see a bright blue perfectly clear sky.!!! uh oh... The station manager called us a few minutes later and asked if we were in shape to fly. Well, yes, unless you want to use the planes again, otherwise no. So much for accurate weather forecast.... The chief pilot would have admonished us for that, but he was there with us.

I spent 7 years flying bush Alaska without bending sheet metal. I did more special VFR departures and arrivals in one year than most pilots will do in several lifetimes. I've seen the northern lights, seen 24 hours of sunshine, 24 hours of no sun, been trapped in an out house by a black bear, seen tens of thousands of caribou, once carried a dead moose as frieght, watched a 727 land on a gravel runway, rode jump seat on DC-6 (C-54) several times, lost several friends in plane crashes, one was a room mate and met some of the most wonderful Eskimo people.

Sorry this was so long. Flying the bush has been one of the most wonderful experiences in my aviation career.

This is the kind of story I want to be able to tell one day. Something is in the Alaskan Air, and I'm addicted to it.

edit: Who did you fly for?

Last edited:
This is the kind of story I want to be able to tell one day. Something is in the Alaskan Air, and I'm addicted to it.

edit: Who did you fly for?

David, it looks like you are flying a sled in your picture, that wouldn't be the Kuskokwim river out there, would it?

Yes, I was addicted to flying in Alaska, and almost getting homesick now. I flew for Yute Air, 40 Mile Air, Grants Aviation, Kantishna Air Taxi and Cape Smythe Air Service. I have lived in Bethel, Tok, Fairbanks and Kotzebue. I have been temporarily based in Barrow a number of times, also Deadhorse, Nome, Dillingham and King Salmon. I spent one summer in Denali National Park flying tours around Mt McKinley.

David, it looks like you are flying a sled in your picture, that wouldn't be the Kuskokwim river out there, would it?

Yes, I was addicted to flying in Alaska, and almost getting homesick now. I flew for Yute Air, 40 Mile Air, Grants Aviation, Kantishna Air Taxi and Cape Smythe Air Service. I have lived in Bethel, Tok, Fairbanks and Kotzebue. I have been temporarily based in Barrow a number of times, also Deadhorse, Nome, Dillingham and King Salmon. I spent one summer in Denali National Park flying tours around Mt McKinley.

Actually that's a 172 in my picture, and I currently fly for Yute Air. That pic was up near Emo but I'm based on the YK out of Bethel, how long ago did you work at Yute?

Yute Air.... Is Ron Dudley still around? I was there in 1998. Made a wopping 30 bucks a flight hour. Started in a 172, then 207, then 208.

Yute Air.... Is Ron Dudley still around? I was there in 1998. Made a wopping 30 bucks a flight hour. Started in a 172, then 207, then 208.

Ron has been gone for a few years now, he was before my time. Not sure what he is up to these days. We don't have anything bigger than a 207 any more, but the ownership has changed a couple times since you worked here.

This time of year there should some sea ice left. Open water is cold meeting semi warm air from off the land. Nothing but fog. I was stuck on the ground there for 5 days once. Really sucks when the alcohol dries up. Hope they head to Kotzebue where I used to live, but in Nome you can sit down and get a cold beer with lunch.

The CT fliers have been stuck in Nome the last several days... can't start one of the Rotax's. Distributor, FD USA, and Germany working on the problem. 'Looks like a failed electrical part in the starter or ignition circuits. It could have been worse (Barrow), but Nome is still pretty remote, with little technical help, and no UPS delivery.
http://ctflier.com/index.php?/topic/2843-alaska-2014/

The CT fliers have been stuck in Nome the last several days... can't start one of the Rotax's. Distributor, FD USA, and Germany working on the problem. 'Looks like a failed electrical part in the starter or ignition circuits. It could have been worse (Barrow), but Nome is still pretty remote, with little technical help, and no UPS delivery.
http://ctflier.com/index.php?/topic/2843-alaska-2014/

Nome is remote, but you can still get a beer there. And this time of year FRESH sea food. Avoid the seal oil.

NOTE: Alaska is mostly dry except for the big three cities and just a few bush villages. In most bush villages alcohol is a federal violation and you are not even allowed to bring any in for personal consumption. Boot legging is a big problem there.

UPS and FEDEX does deliver but it is contracted out. It leaves Anchorage on the Alaska Airlines jet with the first class mail, and no absolutely positively guaranteed over night.

But to sum it up, this is a very cool trip. What a great adventure.!! Just keep plans elastic.

Update- The part should be in Anchorage now. The CT Boys should be flying (commercial) back to Nome to try the fix as soon as weather permits. If all goes well, they'll be heading towards AirVenture.

Good luck, stuck in Fairbanks myself due to weather. Hope the fix works.

Good luck, stuck in Fairbanks myself due to weather. Hope the fix works.

There are worse places in Alaska to be stuck in. I know, I have been stuck in those places. Look at Minchumina. Be glad you are not there.

Back