CTAF procedures

That tells them what runway you used. There is no "active" at a nontowered airport.

The decision should be made by each pilot. It is not necessarily the same for all.

For instance, the "calm wind runway" at KWVI is 20. But 20 has a displaced threshold, so if runway length is an issue (as it often is for jets), you land on 02 to maximize it.

Okay then...it's telling them what runway is in use. Doesn't change anything except the word. I always appreciate when I hear what runway the previous guy landed on, because in my experience, 99% of the time, I'm going to want to land on the runway that others are landing on.

You should make that decision on your own. If the previous pilot screws up and makes a downwind landing, there is no reason you should make the same mistake. We're PICs, not lemmings.

At a nontowered airport, all runways are "in use" unless they are closed.

I guess I don't have a huge issue with "clear of the active"...I at least know I don't have to be scanning the runway for wreckage.
Clear of the active, doesn't bother me if its a one runway airport obviously. "Taking off on the active", well yeah that does bother me, they're all active. How Do I know your not taking off opposite direction I'm landing. Back to landing. You should have just said the runway number 4 times, whats it hurt to say clear of 17. Its just one more thing that helps keep everyone on the same page.

At pilot controlled fields, any runway might be in use. At my airfield gliders have been known to land downwind when the winds are light so that they don't have to push the glider back. They also practice rope breaks where they return to land on the runway they just took off from.

Back