Crossover Spin Video

whifferdill

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
whifferdill
Just to show what it looks like - this is a right rudder upright spin crossed over to inverted (w/ left rudder), back to upright (right rudder), and then a really sloppy recovery to my intended heading. I've picked up on little things since I started shooting video...one of them being that I just realized inverted spins are louder than upright spins in my airplane...I've normally been too busy paying attention to the ground. :)

To get a clean crossover you need to first apply opposite rudder followed by full forward stick a moment later when the rudder has had a chance to bite. This is pretty much what you do for standard upright spin recovery, minus the full forward stick. Just illustrates what can happen in some airplanes if you really overdo the forward stick. The airplane keeps rolling in the same direction, even though there's a change in yaw direction (from the pilot's perspective) that's not as obvious, especially if your first crossover is accidental, and you're by yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-S6qx5Mo-E&feature=youtu.be

Just to show what it looks like - this is a right rudder upright spin crossed over to inverted (w/ left rudder), back to upright (right rudder), and then a really sloppy recovery to my intended heading. I've picked up on little things since I started shooting video...one of them being that I just realized inverted spins are louder than upright spins in my airplane...I've normally been too busy paying attention to the ground. :)

To get a clean crossover you need to first apply opposite rudder followed by full forward stick a moment later when the rudder has had a chance to bite. This is pretty much what you do for standard upright spin recovery, minus the full forward stick. Just illustrates what can happen in some airplanes if you really overdo the forward stick. The airplane keeps rolling in the same direction, even though there's a change in yaw direction (from the pilot's perspective) that's not as obvious, especially if your first crossover is accidental, and you're by yourself.

Part of what's confusing in the video is that the center of rotation on the ground isn't much above the top wing. If you look much above that, the yaw reversal isn't visible. If nothing else this is a pretty convincing demonstration of why you need to look along the nose to determine the direction of rotation (yaw).

Pretty cool. Were you shooting for a certain number of turns each direction, other than exiting on a heading?

I crossed over negative after 3 upright turns to ensure the spin was fully-developed, crossed back upright after 2 inverted rotations, and did another turn and a half upright for 6 1/2 total. I was just making a half-ass effort to recover the last spin aligned with my ground reference, which was the swath cut out for the power lines you can see in the video. Wasn't shooting for a particular total number of turns, just a sufficient number of turns upright and inverted to produce fully-developed spins before crossing over. I didn't add up the total number of turns until I watched the video. I was only keeping track of the turns after each new spin began - the first upright spin, the second inverted, and the final upright.

Last edited:
Thanks wifferdill for posting that!! I'm going to watch it a number of times till I can see the changes well. That helped a lot.

Very nice. As has been said, if you're not looking at the right place, you can miss the reversal....Live and in real time this one really needs instruction: Not a place to go on your own for the first time.

Is that Shearon Harris in the background?

Cool vid... I could see the crossovers.

In a cessna the POH reads for spin recovery that you should apply opposite rudder while moving the control wheel briskly forward. My first spin and recovery I gave it too much down elevator and recovered fine but it was abrupt and a slight negative G and a laugh from my instructor. I have since figured out to make a smooth recovery... kinda scary to think that overdoing the down elevator could cause an inverted spin! Although I am guessing cessna's and the like are pretty difficult if not impossible to spin inverted?

Last edited:
Cool...Where are you based?

TTA

Cool vid... I could see the crossovers.

In a cessna the POH reads for spin recovery that you should apply opposite rudder while moving the control wheel briskly forward. My first spin and recovery I gave it too much down elevator and recovered fine but it was abrupt and a slight negative G and a laugh from my instructor. I have since figured out to make a smooth recovery... kinda scary to think that overdoing the down elevator could cause an inverted spin! Although I am guessing cessna's and the like are pretty difficult if not impossible to spin inverted?

I seriously doubt a Cessna has the down elevator authority to spin inverted or crossover, but I sure haven't tried...and won't be. :)

Back