Crossing the Rockies

windknot54

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
windknot54
We’re planning a VFR flight from Oregon to South Carolina at mid-May, returning mid-June. Previously, we have crossed the Rocky Mountains up North around Rogers Pass and down South by El Paso.

This trip we would like to cross around Salt Lake and Denver. I would enjoy hearing from the assembled knowledgebase your route recommendations and suggestions of places to visit along the way.

Direct Burley Id. cross to Rock Springs. Remember Rock Springs is over 7k' but it is all down hill from there.

WTH is a 'chain law"??

Also interested in the responses. We may fly from Texas to OR at some point. In Laws live up there

WTH is a 'chain law"??

Also interested in the responses. We may fly from Texas to OR at some point. In Laws live up there

It's a joke. During winter storms in the Rockies drivers are required to carry tire chains in their vehicles. Truckers are subject to even stricter rules. It's all in an effort to keep the traffic moving on slippery roads.

Roughly follow I-80 or jog south and follow I-40. Do not follow I-70 but there are routes through passes near it.

These routes have been discussed in other threads. A search will turn them up. The I-40 route is probably the most benign. Following I-80, you will encounter strong winds in Wyoming. In particular be real careful around Elk mountain and the Snowy Range (west of Laramie). I used to fly in that area frequently. On the days I chose to drive the cause was either high winds or mountain obscuration or thunderstorms.

A slightly more adventurous route would be to stay a bit north of Salt Lake to avoid those mountains then jog south towards Grand Junction. Follow the Colorado river to Granby then Corona pass to Denver. Good view of the Grand Mesa and several mountain ranges north and south of the Colorado river. Corona pass can be a handful. Make sure you have your target altitude before approaching it.

Direct Burley Id. cross to Rock Springs. Remember Rock Springs is over 7k' but it is all down hill from there.
It not really all downhill from Rock Springs. Although there are no high mountain ranges, the terrain rises to 8000+, even along I-80.

It not really all downhill from Rock Springs. Although there are no high mountain ranges, the terrain rises to 8000+, even along I-80.
Picking a nit are we? over a tongue in cheek statement?

Picking a nit are we? over a tongue in cheek statement?
It more than a nit if we are giving advice. The higher ground east and west of Laramie can be a challenge in a small airplane.

We may fly from Texas to OR at some point. In Laws live up there
Barb and I have done this trip in a 145 horse 170-B loaded. easiest route is any where in Texas, to 4 corners regional. then on to Hanksville VOR and cross the mountains below SLT, and ride the mountain wave north to Ogden. after that it's mostly flat to OR. we go to Boise, Pendleton, Yakima and home.

It more than a nit if we are giving advice. The higher ground east and west of Laramie can be a challenge in a small airplane.
No problems when you pic the right weather. Just remember we go where and when the weather will allow. Plus what aircraft do you fly that will not do 8000'?

No problems when you pic the right weather. Just remember we go where and when the weather will allow. Plus what aircraft do you fly that will not do 8000'?
The ground is 8000+ which means you should be at 9000+ at the very minimum. It would be smarter to be at 10,500. The weather is often very windy even if it is clear, as other posters have described. Years ago I decided to take a fun flight to Laramie from Denver in a 172. I was alone in the airplane but it was summer. I was surprised at the turbulence and lack of performance in that area between Cheyenne and Laramie.

I recommend Rock Springs to Laramie. The terrain is high compared to everywhere else along your route but it's not exceedingly mountainous, which is good in the case of an emergency landing.

Wasatch Range from 10,000 in a 170
The ground is 8000+ which means you should be at 9000+ at the very minimum. It would be smarter to be at 10,500. The weather is often very windy even if it is clear, as other posters have described. Years ago I decided to take a fun flight to Laramie from Denver in a 172. I was alone in the airplane but it was summer. I was surprised at the turbulence and lack of performance in that area between Cheyenne and Laramie.
so you had a bad flight. Better flight planning.
If you look at a sectional you'll see every town along I-80 is well below 7000'

Roughly follow I-80 or jog south and follow I-40. Do not follow I-70 but there are routes through passes near it.
The Eisenhower tunnel is a real ***** for airplanes and Loveland Pass (US-6) isn't a whole lot better. Slightly to the north you can make it over Corona Pass without spending too much time in the O2 levels. That being said, I'd avoid any of the Colorado crossings if I hadn't had specific mountain training.

Break out a sectional draw a lien between Burley and rock springs then tell me how many mountains there are on that line

Yep, found that out once and had to go back to Rock Springs and file.

Two points:
You can cross Colorado and never get over 10000 maybe less.
Once you cross the front range it is all down hill to California. Follow the Colorado as long as you need.

I've had my 120hp Jabiru over the mountains many times. You do have to know mtn weather and have some experience.

The Eisenhower tunnel is a real ***** for airplanes and Loveland Pass (US-6) isn't a whole lot better. Slightly to the north you can make it over Corona Pass without spending too much time in the O2 levels. That being said, I'd avoid any of the Colorado crossings if I hadn't had specific mountain training.
Still don't know what airplane you're flying. But following I-70 over the tunnel is not a good idea. Nothing straight, lots a bonanza there last year (year before?), no outs. Pilatus? Sure. F-16? Sure. High performance turbo at 18K? Sure. 172? No big deal, we'll send CAP to identify the wreckage.

We're getting high winds for the next week, 10 days as well as snow & rain in the mountains. Take I-80, watch the weather, be careful. I-40 is probably better if you're not familiar with mountain flying. Each mountain range has it's own characteristics/personality.

Coming home in June - Tstorms. Nothing else to say.

Wasatch Range from 10,000 in a 170

so you had a bad flight. Better flight planning.
If you look at a sectional you'll see every town along I-80 is well below 7000'
It doesn't matter what elevation the towns are if the areas between the towns are above 8,000'

Interstate 80 is a major transcontinental corridor connecting California and New York City. From the city of San Francisco to a few miles west of the Hudson River in northern New Jersey, I-80 traverses various terrain and states. Its highest point is located at Sherman Hill Summit in Wyoming between Laramie and Cheyenne at an elevation of 8640 feet.

http://www.interstate-guide.com/i-080.html

Do weather, I'd not go to rock springs tonight either.

So if 8000' scares you go direct Rawlins to North Platte which is 2800'. When there is high country you are not required to go there, go around.
Rawlins to North Platte takes you over the same area and you still need to cross high ground. It definitely isn't "all downhill" from Rock Springs like you would have people believe, but I'll trust them to look at a sectional and determine that for themselves.

Rawlins to North Platte takes you over the same area and you still need to cross high ground. It definitely isn't "all downhill" from Rock Springs like you would have people believe, but I'll trust them to look at a sectional and determine that for themselves.
When leaving Rawlins you will see the high country. avoid it by simply north east around it. by avoiding the Medicine Bow national forest. you will then start down off the high country to North Platte at 2000'
This route is very doable in any aircraft, I've been over this route several times with no problems when you do proper weather. Just remember, the RR din't go this way because it was the highest or hardest route.
I state again, any time you are crossing the continental divide in any direction in a light civil aircraft, you will go when and where the weather will allow.

Hey folks, if 8000' scares you, don't venture west of North Platte :)

There are very many route planners in today's internet world that you can plan a trip. This is the worst of the bunch.
SimpLy because every reader has their favorite route, or a bad story of a flight they have made.

Still don't know what airplane you're flying. But following I-70 over the tunnel is not a good idea. Nothing straight, lots a bonanza there last year (year before?), no outs. Pilatus? Sure. F-16? Sure. High performance turbo at 18K? Sure. 172? No big deal, we'll send CAP to identify the wreckage.
When I implied it was a ***** (and that Loveland Pass/US-6 which is the way you have to go if following I-70 and you can't fly through the tunnel), I was saying that it is NOT A GOOD WAY TO GO.

There are very many route planners in today's internet world that you can plan a trip. This is the worst of the bunch.
SimpLy because every reader has their favorite route, or a bad story of a flight they have made.
I have no problem with the route along I-80 in most airplanes in good weather, in fact I consider it one of the better choices. I have a problem with your statement that it's "all downhill" east of Rock Springs. Then you started doubling down with other misleading statements, "the towns are below 7,000", yeahbut...

Last edited:
I have no problem with the route along I-80 in most airplanes in good weather, in fact I consider it one of the better choices. I have a problem with your statement that it's "all downhill" east of Rock Springs.
I have no problem with the route along I-80 in most airplanes in good weather, in fact I consider it one of the better choices. I have a problem with your statement that it's "all downhill" east of Rock Springs. Then you started doubling down with other misleading statements, "the towns are below 7,000", yeahbut...
You apparently believe you must stay over I-80 during this flight. YOU DON"T you can deviate toward Medicine Bow, and stay well below the 8000' elevation of the highest point on I-80 between Laramie and Cheyenne.

or you can watch the rivers in the area, they all flow easterly,, I wonder why ?

Most all of Wy. looks like this. We were doing an end around of the wing river range going to Pocatello from Casper. All that area is very doable in a light civil aircraft. this picture was taken at 10,000' mountains to the south are the high country of the Medicine Bow National forest. about 50-60 miles away

Attachments

• The Big Red One 054.jpg
    The Big Red One 054.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 37
When I implied it was a ***** (and that Loveland Pass/US-6 which is the way you have to go if following I-70 and you can't fly through the tunnel), I was saying that it is NOT A GOOD WAY TO GO.
Sorry, can I claim dyslexia? Or exhaustion?

I don't like the idea of 'crossing the Rockies'. I like the plan of going around any of the higher terrain.

You need to go to at least 12,500' to get over Colorado Rockies.
This is the Colorado River above Glenwood Springs.
http://public.fotki.com/Seat2A/amtrak-journey-spri/011b-glenwood-canyo.html
You can follow it, but you are going to be well above it, like 11,000'

Actually your don't have to go much over 10,000' to get over the Colorado portion of the Rocky Mountains. Go north of Denver to the power plant north of Ft. Collins, turn left and follow the power lines to Steamboat, now follow the river...

It all depends on the winds. No wind, no problem (rare). 20-30kt winds aloft at 12K (frequent), an entirely different story in a normally aspirated airplane. And don't forget density altitude. Another major factor. Just my $0.02.

Back