Crossing Sierra Nevadas

warthog1984

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
LanCA'r
Hey all, a question for you.

I'm looking at going from SoCal (KCMA) to Reno later this month.

Are there any viable routes or crossing points for either a 172SP or Warrior III? Seems like everything is >10k and the amount of distance that needs to be traversed is substantial.

Yeah I'd fly up the Sacramento Valley and follow the 50 from PVF over the Southeast side of Lake Tahoe and continue over Kingsbury Grade to the Carson Valley, then North to RNO. You can do it at 9,000 or so but still plan on 10k, which is doable in an SP or Warrior III.

Go up Owens Valley past Bishop and then hang a little left. That will get you past the grunt of the really high Sierras. It's one of the prettiest rides you can take, although Owens Valley can be very turbulent at times.

Yeah I'd fly up the Sacramento Valley and follow the 50 from PVF over the Southeast side of Lake Tahoe and continue over Kingsbury Grade to the Carson Valley, then North to RNO. You can do it at 9,000 or so but still plan on 10k, which is doable in an SP or Warrior III.

Yep, that's a good route, if the weather in the valley is bad, shoot the Banning or Corona pass and fly up the east side.

Safest route is up to Sac then follow 80 over the pass. You'll always have options. If you have problems between Placerville and South Shore at 10k - you're screwed.... I go up 50 all the time, but at 12k and have a much longer glide ratio than you do.

Last edited:
Safest route is up to Sac then follow 80 over the pass. You'll always have options. If you have problems between Placerville and South Shore at 10k - you're screwed.... I go up 50 all the time, but at 12k and have a much longer glide ratio than you do.

Yup. 50 is twisty and in a river valley. 80 is much straighter and it's an interstate, largely on ridgetops. There is also an airport halfway up (Blue Canyon), but I don't believe they clear snow.

I've made afternoon summer crossings over Donner at 9000, but it's pretty bumpy. The road goes just over 7000 at the highest point. The highest peaks are at 10,000.

The eastern Sierra route isn't much lower.

Last edited:
If the winds are north I would fly up the Owens Valley, perhaps from Mojave or cross Near Isabella and into the Owens at Olancha.

If the winds are SW or W I would fly up the west side of the Sierra and intersect V230 to Mono Lake or Mammoth Lakes and then follow the east side up from there.

This routing can be done under 10,000 and the scenery is more dramatic and you should save an hour.

Attachments

• Arretes.jpg
    Arretes.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 33
  • Fern Lake.jpg
    Fern Lake.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 26
  • Mammoth Mtn Summer 2013.jpg
    Mammoth Mtn Summer 2013.jpg
    814.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Thanks all, something to think about.

So it looks like Sac Valley is the way to go; with the alternate being up the East side tucked against the mountains?

I've done that V230 crossing. The lowest spot is just north of the ski area, and it's over 10000. You aren't seriously suggesting a zero-margin crossing, are you? It's a stunning view, and MOST of it is at an accessible altitude. But that one ridge is a problem.

Its true the east side is also beautiful with dramatic mountains, Mono Lake, the Alabama Hills and the Owens Valley. But not a nice ride when windy, as previously noted. It was a particularly blustery day but that's where Steve Fossett augured in. Going up the west side you can see the entrance to Yosemite, Hetch Hetchy reservoir, many wild rivers etc. Plenty of airports along the way.
Either way - have fun!

When crossing V230 with a ceiling you cannot make it if the ceiling is lower than 9,600. I did not recommend a zero clearance crossing I was just pointing out that the terrain is quite low there.

I agree to avoid the Owens if winds are SW but if they are north they align with the mountains and the east side becomes smooth. If they are SW V230 is typically aligned and smooth.

Fosset went in at Minaret Lake about 60 miles from the Owens, if you look at the first photo I posted you can see the arretes that provided the downdrafts that he did not survive.

Last edited:
Back