Cross Country Ideas DFW

ipengineer

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
ipengineer
I am getting ready to fly my three-leg cross-country solo tomorrow. I am trying to figure out where I want to fly. I will be departing from TKI in McKinney. Does anyone have any ideas of cool places to fly?

Stephenville for food.
Possum Kingdom or bridgeport for beautiful scenery landing over the water

KTKI - KADH (Ada, OK) - KGLE (Gainesville, TX)- KTKI gives you total of 213nm, stays north out of the bulk of the complicated DFW area airspace, keeps you fairly near some airports along the way in case you need them, overflies Lake Texhoma for some scenery, KADH and KGLE are very easy to spot from the air, and when you land at KGLE you can borrow one of the crew cars and go to the Smokehouse BBQ for lunch! KGLE has cheap fuel too.

Last edited:
Bryan,

Sounds good the only issue I think my instructor is going to want me to stay clear of the DFW airspace. I would love to fly that though.

Neal,

The only issue I see is GLE -> TKI is only 42nm and each leg has to be atleast 50. I could change GLE for 0f2 but I have flown into there a couple of times already..

Decisions, decisions :confused:

Bryan,

Sounds good the only issue I think my instructor is going to want me to stay clear of the DFW airspace. I would love to fly that though.

Neal,

The only issue I see is GLE -> TKI is only 42nm and each leg has to be atleast 50. I could change GLE for 0f2 but I have flown into there a couple of times already..

Decisions, decisions :confused:

tsk tsk tsk...go back and read 61.109 very carefully. Only 1 leg need be more than 50 nm.

Makes it a lot easier.. I was told 50nm each leg.. Im going to have to dig out my FAR book :yesnod:

I like the Possum Kingdom Stephenville route. Primarily because I have been wanting to fly through Dallas but haven't flown through class B yet.

Makes it a lot easier.. I was told 50nm each leg.. Im going to have to dig out my FAR book :yesnod:

I like the Possum Kingdom Stephenville route. Primarily because I have been wanting to fly through Dallas but haven't flown through class B yet.

If you want to go through/over the Bravo, you'll need a separate endorsement per 61.95.

tsk tsk tsk...go back and read 61.109 very carefully. Only 1 leg need be more than 50 nm.

Yep, your student solo long cross-country flight only needs to be greater than 150nm total, with at least one leg greater than 50nm and full stop landings at 3 different airports (your origin airport will be that 3rd full stop landing when you return).

(BTW Zane, I'm also a network engineer/manager... and good luck on your X-C flight. My advice is to keep it simple as possible, there is plenty of opportunity for adding on the complicated stuff like Class Bravo transitions later on).

Last edited:
You are likely used to flying under the bravo.

It is definitely longer than needed but would be a fun XC doing something like this:
http://skyvector.com/?ll=32.8674381....33483886206734:A.K4.KSEP:A.K4.KXBP:A.K4.KTKI

Trade PK for Bridgeport to make it a little shorter. Use the VORs too.

My XC was Gainesville, Stephenville, Possum Kingdom. Longer than needed but the way I saw it, That was my day and I was "flying myself to lunch", doing a little sight seeing, and making a day of it. I stopped and got out at both stops. Once for food, and once to take pictures of planes flying around. I dragged it out for sure.

Certainly take into account your confidence / skill level and CFI's take on it.
It is a lot of Bravo to deal with but it gives you a lot of options.

You can transition some of the class D's or go around them.
Call regional approach and get FF talk to CFI about the student / bravo situation but I would just choose altitudes under the shelves.

You are PIC though if this is biting off more than you want to chew, then certainly going north and remaining clear of the clutter is a fine choice also.

Just make sure you take some photos and report back. Try and make one of the stops a food stop. First time you fly yourself to eat it is going to be meal you never forget and the food just tastes better ;)

Hey Mike are you and Brian going to be around 3t0 tomorrow around 1pm?

Hey Mike are you and Brian going to be around 3t0 tomorrow around 1pm?

Oops... Missed the detail that your flight was Saturday.

My aircraft is reserved by another club member. So I'm not able to fly myself. But if Bryan is willing to take me, we can arrange something.

Ok I'm going to try and plan everything tomorrow morning. I'll update here with all the details as soon as I know the plan.

Man I would love it but my favorite co-pilot turns 7 tomorrow.
We got family coming over.

I'm definitely up for scheduling something sometime though and I love pelican's landing.

I swear this guy was born just the other day. Goes so fast.

10452973_10204170087399336_2676745168660938793_o.jpg

Tell Jack Happy Birthday from me and Sugar. He is one awesome kid.

Perhaps we all can plan a dinner meet up this next week.

So I did TKI -> GLE -> ADM -> TKI. 152nm. Went to smokehouse BBQ in Gainesville. It was good, no issues. Weather was nice; not too hot.

I need to get another .5 hours of solo x-country so we need to find a time to all meet up for lunch! 3T0 is a grass strip I guess so that may not work for me right now. I need to get with my instructor and fly out there so I have a little soft-field experience.

A ride out to KSLR and the Red Barn might be in order.

A quick stop at T31 might be needed to make the east bound trip a true XC distance.

I'm at t30 now. it is grass but it is nearly as smooth and solid as most paved runways

And it's way to hot to be flying today. My God...
I flew in am RV4, my bird and a 182 today.

Rv was like an oven. 182 wasn't too bad.

3T0 is a grass strip I guess so that may not work for me right now. I need to get with my instructor and fly out there so I have a little soft-field experience.

Why?

I soloed off a grass strip, its actually easier to land on.

Go talk to your instructor, shy of some crazy obsticial or it being super short or something I'd be surprised if your instructor took issue with a grass strip.

And it's way to hot to be flying today. My God...
I flew in am RV4, my bird and a 182 today.

Rv was like an oven. 182 wasn't too bad.

We came back from New Mexico this morning coming into the arrival was like descending into the planes of Hell. 55 degrees when we left about 100 when we landed, ugh.

Yea it was a little warm. For whatever reason I didn't think Saturday was as hot as Sunday.

Well y'all tell me where the good food is and we will try to make it work.

Back