Credit Card Recommendations?

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
Anyone have a good credit card to recommend for use on Avgas and other aviation related expenses?

I am about ready to fire my credit card company after the literal constant harassment over fraud alerts every time I try to pay for fuel on the road....even after I tell them in advance and they assure me that it is noted.

I've been using a rewards card from my local credit union - pretty decent interest rate (not that it matters as I don't carry a balance) and I've been very happy with them thus far. Although I have had them shut my card down while I was on the road as part of fraud prevention, so there's that :/

I use my etrade debit card. The etrade accounts are fantastic by the way. No ATM fees at all and they refund them to you should you use a machine that charges fees. Just cancelled my last credit card a month ago, haven't swiped a CC in over a year.

Whatever you do don't get a Wells Fargo, BOA or CAp One.

American Express. Very good rewards program, as well.

I'm generally satisfied with my Chase Freedom card. 1% back on any purchase, plus every quarter there's 5% back on "select purchases" (like "all restaurants and hotels" or "all gas and auto maintenance", etc.)

One annoyance: They make you jump through a hoop to "activate" the 5% rebate every quarter, but you can ask for an email reminder that simplifies the process to just a couple of button clicks.

Not that I've tried them all, but I do like their online banking website design better than any other I've used (BoA's was especially hideous when I briefly had a store account serviced by them a few years back). Easy to set up automatic payments, etc.

I don't have a "rewards" card set up. But I've used the AOPA BoA CC on multiple cross country trips. For the large trips I call in advance, "you'll be getting a lot of fuel and hotel charges between dates xx-xx". I've had no problems, even through Canada to Alaska and back.

I should set up a rewards card for my next trip.

"Anyone have a good credit card to recommend for use on Avgas and other aviation related expenses?"

Someone else's as long as you don't get caught.:goofy:

+2. Great card.

yup - I use a USAA AMEX for all aviation stuff in attempt to try to figure out how much I spend every year...and a AMEX Gold for pretty much everything else. The upgrade from Gold to Platinum is a ripoff if you ask me...unless you are one of the 12 people that call AMEX for concert tickets and dinner reservations and love hanging out in airports. I travel quite a bit for work and it doesn't make sense to upgrade our cards...and you don't get the same points as with the Gold Premier Rewards. Go figure.

I go with AmEx. I won't say I've never been denied on the purchase - it's happened once or twice internationally - but it's far lower than any other card.

AmEx has free cards now as well as their normal. We have a gold card. The rewards program is nice and I've gotten some nifty goodies from it.

I'm still using Capital One. Never denied for purchases in the US so far. Decent if not great rewards but at least you can get reimbursed for travel expenses after they are charged. It's pretty simple: just go buy the plane ticket then tell Capital One that you want to use rewards to cover the ticket. It's all on line and it works.

All that and I get a picture of my own aircraft on the credit card. :D

I'm still using Capital One. Never denied for purchases in the US so far. Decent if not great rewards but at least you can get reimbursed for travel expenses after they are charged. It's pretty simple: just go buy the plane ticket then tell Capital One that you want to use rewards to cover the ticket. It's all on line and it works.

All that and I get a picture of my own aircraft on the credit card. :D

Enjoy your new yearly fee,,,, oh you didn't know about it? check your bill....if its not there call and ask when they'll be charging it. My Cap One had been paid off for years, I received a bill recently. I no longer have a Credit Card. FICO dropped 3 points boo hoo.

Enjoy your new yearly fee,,,, oh you didn't know about it? check your bill....if its not there call and ask when they'll be charging it. My Cap One had been paid off for years, I received a bill recently. I no longer have a Credit Card. FICO dropped 3 points boo hoo.

No new fee on my card, same-old-same-old $19/yr. I can't even see that small of a number...

Use am/ ex jet blue for the air miles.Not taken by a lot of merchants due to their high rate to the merchant. Don't worry about interest rate as I don't carry a balance.

I have a Delta Amex. If you spend enough, you can pretty much maintain frequent flyer status with the miles from the credit card alone.

I'm generally satisfied with my Chase Freedom card. 1% back on any purchase, plus every quarter there's 5% back on "select purchases" (like "all restaurants and hotels" or "all gas and auto maintenance", etc.)

One annoyance: They make you jump through a hoop to "activate" the 5% rebate every quarter, but you can ask for an email reminder that simplifies the process to just a couple of button clicks.

Not that I've tried them all, but I do like their online banking website design better than any other I've used (BoA's was especially hideous when I briefly had a store account serviced by them a few years back). Easy to set up automatic payments, etc.
Very similar to what US Bank does. 1% on all purchases. Choose two 2% categories and one 5% category every quarter. The category choices available may change from one quarter to the next...or not.

No fees.

It's been a good card.

hmmm, I'll have to look at USAA AMex.

I'm carrying USAA platinum, but it's MC, not AMEX. We get rewards, but I think they're dinky prizes, I don't keep up with it like I should.

Ironically, I just did a search last night for best cash rewards card and, FANNIE MAE came up on top. I didn't chase it down and look deeper, and no link right now. It was one of those credit card compare/shop sites. Google is your friend.

Anyone have a good credit card to recommend for use on Avgas and other aviation related expenses?

I am about ready to fire my credit card company after the literal constant harassment over fraud alerts every time I try to pay for fuel on the road....even after I tell them in advance and they assure me that it is noted.

Are you now using Capital One? They do that to me all the time too.

I am now carrying a Citi Hilton Honors card. It also has a chip in it for when I need chipped cards in Europe and Asia. $95/year and I am automatically Hilton Gold. Since I travel a lot that is a nice feature. They also have an American Airlines version. $295/year and you get all the Gold advantage features plus Admiral's Club membership. But since I am lifetime Platinum and often get comped club membership it was not a big draw for me.

If you're collecting points from Avgas providers then maybe one of the provider-branded fuel cards would be worth it.

I've found it doesn't make sense unless you have a dedicated "milk run" that has consistent fuel providers. I never bothered with it because I didn't need more cards in my wallet, and most of the places I flew had different fuel providers. Plus, forget about it at self-serve.

My wife signed us up for that Chase Freedom card. It's been pretty good. I had one long trip where they started declining stuff at the very end, but it's part of the biz. The points, or discount thing for fuel and other purchases keeps her happy(I don't really pay attention but it seems to be a nice deal).

Otherwise I use Amex biz platinum. There is a hefty fee associated with it, which I charge to the corp and it becomes an expense item. To make it worthwhile I typically use this card wherever possible and we do get significant travel rewards. It's also nice because when we fly comm, I get to use the various carriers hospitality suites by showing the card. Yes, I've used it to get tickets to events, and advance purchase access to some things.

I use both AMEX Gold and Hilton from Citi with a Chip for use in Europe.

I do go thru eBates for web purchases which gives anywhere from 2% to 6% cash back plus whatever I get from the cards.

Cheers

I have a Chase Freedom card I use a lot. I also have a Chase Priority Club card (soon to be re-branded, I suspect). One gets me 1% on everything with some 5% categories each quarter, the other gets me hotel points that we use when we travel. Discover has finally gotten competitive again, so I use that one from time to time.

The upgrade from Gold to Platinum is a ripoff if you ask me...
I travel a lot, the access to airline clubs is worth it. The rebates for Global Entry, incidentals and onboard airline charges, and bag fees pays for itself. Plus it's a Mercedes Benz platinum, so I get rebates and discounts on service and parts, and a $1000 voucher the next time we're up for a car.

I'll say AMEX also. There are some businesses that won't take them, though.

Back